twelve

shitty coincidences ft

shitty coincidences ft. travis riddle and lucas cleary :: awsten
march 17th, 2020

JUNE FALLS ASLEEP AND WHEN LUCAS COMES BACK INTO THE LIVING ROOM, HE LAUGHS QUIETLY TO HIMSELF.

 "I thought she hated you," he says. "Just kiss her already."

 I feel my face grow hot and pray he doesn't notice.

 "Hey, can I tell you something?" he asks, sitting down on the floor next to the couch.

 "Yeah, what is it?"

 He laces his fingers together. "Neither her or June has caught on yet, but I kind of have a thing for Ivy."

 "Oh yeah?"

 He nods. "I'm hoping it's not too obvious because I think June would flip, but I kind of wanna ask Ivy out."

 I think of the FaceTime calls I've witnessed with June's sister. Lucas always smiles really wide and starts up a conversation. He's always commenting cute things on her Instagram and replying to her tweets.

 "I think you should go for it," I smile.

A small while later, June wakes up and she and Lucas make cookies.

 I would help them out, but I get a text from Travis, telling me to call him. I duck out of the apartment into the hallway and wait from my best friend to pick up.

"Hey," he says. He sounds nervous.

 "What's up? Why'd you need me to call you?"

 There's a pause on his end before he says, "Okay, so you know Ivy?"

 "Yeah..." I think back to the conversation I had not that long ago with Lucas about how he wants to ask Ivy out, and hope Travis isn't calling to tell me the same thing.

"Well, she started listening to the podcast, and then we followed each other on Instagram, and we started sending memes and shit back and forth, and I think I'm starting to catch feelings for her."

 Fuck.

"This whole quarantine thing sucks because we were joking about me flying out to New York to see her."

 "Dude, weren't you only talking for like two days?"

"Actually, five. That's why it was a joke, but I could tell she genuinely wanted me to fly out."

 "Do you want me to ask June what she thinks you should do?" I ask.

 He pauses. "Maybe? Do you think that would be a good idea?"

 "Yeah, probably. I mean, she knows Ivy better than either of us. I'll talk to her."

"Thanks, man."

 Travis says goodbye and hangs up and I stuff my phone in my pocket, sighing loudly.

 I literally just told Lucas he should make a move and ask Ivy out, and then Travis calls me to tell me that.

 If Travis and Ivy were half-joking about him flying out to New York, that obviously means they click and they're already super good friends, but that doesn't mean she has a thing for him.

 And just because she's good friends with Lucas doesn't mean she's got a thing for him either.

 Ivy's just a woman caught up in a love triangle, it happens all the time. But the fact that it's involving two of my really good friends is just a shitty coincidence.

june collins
march 18th, 2020

Yesterday, Awsten got a phone call. He came back from it and acted odd for the rest of the day.

 I tried to ask him about it, but he pretended like it was nothing even though it was very obvious that whatever he was told during the phone call bothered him a lot.

 And then when Ivy FaceTimed me this morning, Awsten began to act even weirder and said he needed to go for a walk.

 He comes back and I say, "Okay, I figured out what's bugging you."

 "Is Lucas around?" he asked as he sat down on the couch. I shook my head and said he'd gone for a walk as well. "I don't know what I'm going to do," Awsten began, holding his face in his hands. "I mean, I told Lucas he should go for it and ask Ivy out, and then right away Travis called me and told me he's got a thing for Ivy too."

"What?" I gasp, sitting down next to him.

 "Was that not what you thought was going on?" he asks.

 "I was just gonna ask if you were secretly in love with my sister. But Jesus, Travis and Lucas? I mean, Lucas was kind of obvious, and I think I should've seen the Travis thing coming, but both of them? At the same time? This is everything my younger more dramatic ass dreamed about. Wow, a love triangle-"

 "June," Awsten interrupts, "I'm going to tell you right now that I mean this in the nicest way possible, but shut the fuck up." I pretend to be hurt as he continues. "I'm actually genuinely freaking out about this a lot."

 We talk about it for a while and decide that we should maybe ask Ivy what she thinks about all of this, and then we watch every music video with Travis in it because I forgot who he is.

i showed sophia the cover and she just goes "baby hand"