18: Broken

Chapter 18

I woke up feeling very warm, with something tickling against my face.

My head was absolutely killing me, and I felt extremely groggy. I tried to open my eyes but the light pouring in through the windows was burning my them.

I stretched out my arms, trying to loosen the muscles that seemed to have tightened up during the night, but my closed fist hit something hard.

The 'something hard' groaned and moved slightly.

I snapped open my eyes and lay very still. Then, very slowly, I turned my head to look at the thing beside me.

Dan lay sprawled out on the bed, his legs spread apart,  one hanging off  the bed, the other parallel to mine.

His arm lay across my stomach and his head was nestled into my shoulder.

I held my breath,  afraid to disturb him. I wanted to move,  but I didn't know how. If he woke up, it would create maybe just one of the most awkward experiences of my life.

I let my head flop back down onto the pillow and sighed. Very cautiously I picked Dan's arm up by his wrist and gently placed in at his side. I held my breath.

No movement.

Next, I moved my body over a couple of centimeters and listened for movement. I repeated this until I was at the edge of the bed and Dan's head slowly slipped off my shoulder. 

Once I was certain he wasn't going to wake up, I literally hopped out of the bed and ran out of the room. 

***

I paced around his sitting room, contemplating my options. I had work in the morning, I couldn't stay at Dan's, I couldn't go home and I had no idea where Ian was. I needed to ring him and find out what the hell was going on.

I walked into the kitchen and searched for my purse. Once I found it, I took out my phone and turned it on. The moment I did, it began beeping like crazy, indicating I had a lot of missed calls and messages.

I dialed my voice mail quickly, wondering what in the world could be so important. 

"Carmen, have you been hurt? What  is going on with Ian? Are you okay? Call me." My mother's voice rang out through my phone, adding to the headache I was already experiencing. I looked at my phone in confusion. What did she mean what was going on with Ian?

I listened to the next voice mail. "Eh, hi. It's Linda. I'm mean you probably already know that but well, I just wanted to see if you were okay. I heard about Ian and you and well just call me."

I could feel my mouth drop open as Linda's voice spoke through the phone.

What in the fucking hell was going on?

I listened to the last voice mail,  scared as to what I might hear.

"Carmen. We need to talk. Come to the hotel. The Royal. I'll meet you in the lobby."

Ian sounded nervous.   Something was going on and I needed to find out.

I went into the Google app on my phone and hastily searched Ian's name.

Ian Dolemen an alcoholic?

Drunk and Disorderly- Madly Roses singer is arrested.

Domestic Violence? Ian Dolmen seen abusing suspected girlfriend.

I scrolled through article after article, each one with a different account of Ian's actions. The last one, stood out to me: Domestic Violence? Ian Dolmen seen abusing suspected girlfriend.