12: We've Been Bastille

Chapter 12

Dan was freaking out and when I say freaking out, I mean, really freaking out. He was running around the house like a bloody headless chicken, looking for various items which he couldn't find.

“Dan, you seem like you’re stressed. Why don’t you just sit down for a second?” I was trying to grade some copies while sitting on Dan’s couch, but with Dan’s running around, it was nearly impossible to concentrate.

“No, There’s no time. I have to find my keyboard cable and then ring the guys and then run over the songs and get all the stuff into Will’s car and find my bloody music sheet and-”

“Dan!”

Dan stopped moving and finally stood still. He let out a long sigh and hung his head. He looked so stressed, it was a little heartbreaking. His usual ‘lightness’ had disappeared.

I let out a small sigh and put down the copybook I was holding in my hands. I got up off the couch and walked to wear Dan was standing.

“Dan calm down. Everything is going to be fine. You don’t have to worry!”

Dan closed his eyes tight and shut his eyes. “Carmen, you don’t understand. I have horrible stage fright, performing stresses me out. Agh, but I love it! It doesn't make sense, I know.”

I couldn't help but laugh at Dan. I wasn't exactly sure why I was laughing, I knew it was mean but I couldn't stop.

Dan glared at me but it wasn't long before he too was laughing.

We both stood there laughing at the other laughing, not really having a clue about what we were laughing at. “W-why are you l-l-laughing?” I asked, trying to stop myself from laughing.

Dan shook his head, still laughing. “You-you were l-l-laughing at me!”

I rubbed my eyes with the palm of my hand and willed myself to stop laughing. Excitement was bubbling inside me. I couldn’t wait to hear Bastille!

I had stayed in Dan’s house for three nights now, and I couldn’t have been happier. Though his heating still didn’t work and he was a terrible cook, it was proving to be immense fun.

The night when I threatened to leave, we had pizza and just watched more episodes of Twin Peaks. I was becoming an absolute expert on it now, seeing as Dan felt the need to give me a random fact about the show ever 5 minutes.

Seeing as I had been wearing the same clothes for two days, he offered to lend me something of his. I wasn’t too keen at first, seeing as I was a teacher and I did need to look somewhat presentable but upon consideration, I realised I really did need to change my clothes.

I decided to wear the jeans I had been wearing and to find a top. I had no great  expectations for  Dan’s wardrobe but at that point, I didn't care. As long as I could get out of my ‘worn for days and slept in’ clothes.