09: Undeserving

Chapter 9

To say I was nervous was an understatement.  A big big understatement.

I didn't know why, but as we left McDonald's I felt a strange sense of nervousness rush over my body.

I wasn't sure on what to say or how to act or even how to bloody walk! Something about Dan just made me panic and feel like a teenager.

It wasn't until right then in MacD's that the feeling had begun.  I felt undeserving of this generosity, overwhelmed almost.  

The day had turned to night while we were in McDonald's, and the considerably emptier streets were lined with glowing street lamps. The air had gotten much colder and the wind blew hard, reminding me it was indeed winter.

We walked I felt silence for the first few minutes, both of us seemingly unknowing as to what to say.

I hoped Dan's flat wasn't too much of a walk as the wintery November air ate through my coat and sent shivers through my entire body.  My hands were stuck deep into my pockets, trying to preserve what ever heat I had.

"It's freezing, isn't it?" Dan suddenly said, breaking the silence which had fallen. I let out a short laugh,  the air turning white as I spoke.

"Just a tad." I joked.  Dan looked at me and smiled.  

"Think we'll get snow this year?" My eyes widened at the thought.

"Ohhh I really hope so, I love the snow, and ice and everything wintery in general!" I couldn't stop the excitement from entering my tone. Anything to do with winter and I would ramble.

Dan laughed brightly at my enthusiasm,  a sound which which I can't even begin to describe.  It was melodic, like a song.

"Hm,  I take it you're a winter lover?" He asked, sarcasm lacing his tone. "What about summer? You wouldn’t fancy a hot trip to Barbados or something like that?”

My face scrunched up in disgust. I really didn’t like the heat.

"Eh, no thank you. A ski holiday holiday and I'm there,  sun and sand not so much."

Dan shook his head. "You're a weirdo. " I stuck my tongue out in response.  

"Hey! I have good reason! First of all uv rays are terrible for your skin.  Second of all,  have you ever gotten sunstroke? I have and let me tell you it's no fun." I shuddered at the thought of the sunstroke. One of the worst times of my life.

I could feel the built up nerves beginning to slip away with every step we took.  Once Dan and I began talking, we didn't stop and before I knew it, we had reached his flat.