05: Pizza

Chapter 5

I was almost finished correcting the tests, when my stomach let out a growl in protest. I looked at the clock which read 5 o’clock.

I had been correcting for about 2 hours! You may think correcting tests is easy, but let me tell you it’s not. Trying to read the quite illegible writing of 10 year olds is a long and draining task.

I had gone out to check on Dan and Linda once in the time that past. The first time Dan was playing a card game with Linda, one that she didn’t really understand and was losing at. She was beginning to sober up and was getting extremely grumpy. I offered for me to take over and for Dan to go home but he insisted on staying. He ushered me out again and told me not to come out again until I had finished my work.

Marking the last test, I placed it in the pile with the rest and smiled. I loved the relief of finishing something you didn't think you’d get done.

I got up from my desk and stretched my arms out. My stomach let out another rumble of hunger.

“Okay okay. Food time.” I said to myself, or my stomach but that’s a bit weird.

I walked quietly out into the hallway, I could hear the low drawl of the t.v. Dan and Linda were sat on the couch in front of it, so I could only see their backs.

I wasn’t sure whether or not Linda was still awake. I supposed it was okay if she wasn’t, enough time had passed and she wasn’t showing symptoms, if she was I was sure Dan would have told me.

I could see Dan glancing at her every so often, it was kind of cute but I couldn’t help but feel a slight twinge of jealously.

I continued walking into the sitting room, causing Dan to look my way. He beamed at me.

“You better be finished that work, missy.” He teased. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes mom, I did.” I joked. Dan glared at me in a joking matter.

I looked to Linda beside him who was nodding off. “How is she?” I asked.

Dan shrugged. “She’s not too bad, I suppose. I mean, I don't really know what she’s usually like, but right now she’s pretty grumpy. She’s sobering up for sure.”

I nodded my head. Linda wasn’t usually that grumpy, it was obviously just the killer headache that was sure to be sporting

“I’d say she has a killer headache. I think it’s okay for her to sleep, right?”

Dan nodded and glanced at Linda, who’s chin was hitting her chest, her breathing getting louder.