Confronting and Confessing

Alex followed Caroline and was barely able to slip into her room before she shut the door. Glaring at him, he watched her half waddle, half walk to her bed, for an almost five months pregnancy, her stomach was much bigger than should be.

'We need to talk' Alex began as Caroline settled down on her bed against the head board while she tactfully arranged the pillows on her bed to support her back.

'There is nothing to talk about' she  said.

'You think?' He asked her sarcastically. ' The last time I checked, I happen to be responsible for that pregnancy and as the father, don't you think I am have to know everything going on? Don't you think I should also make decisions on my child's well being?' 'You have no right to keep things from me, especially when it has to do with my baby' he said calmly, too calmly to mean something good.

'You have no right to ask me those questions' Caroline snapped at him turning herself to face him. 'I am not the who uses women like they were some used piece of rag and cast them off when I am done.

'I wasn't the one who made Dor-ris believe I would marry her and then cast her off like some used water,  I never knew who Tessa was, never knew who Belinda was neither did I Know Fiona until I met you, and now all the deranged ladies want is revenge and to make you feel as you made them feel, they want you to feel miserable and they think killing my innocent baby and making me too miserable is the answer!' Caroline yelled at him as more tears poured from her eyes.

Alex stared at her perplexed, 'I get it' he answered her, 'but that doesn't answer my question.' He continued.

Caroline swung her feet to the side of the bed as she prepared herself for the worst, she was beyond being afraid of him.

'You want to know why I never told you?' She asked angrily and at his curt nod, she continued.

'When we had that marriage,' she swung her hand emphasizing the word "marriage". 'Before you came to wait for me at the restroom door, a lady blocked me and warned me, she told me she knew it was a sham cos you don't do love and for a person who doesn't do love, it was impossible for you to fall in love with me at such a short period of time, of cause, she told me not to play smart by trying to tie you down with a baby that she wouldn't hesitate to get rid of the child to free you should the mistake happen' 'she told me this cos one way or the other she knew I did it to fulfill a promise to you, so whomever had told her is someone you or I know. Well I promised her and when I realized just at the police hospital that I was pregnant I was shocked. I knew one thing for sure that the doctor wouldn't have known I was pregnant not until the pregnancy was about six weeks old, it was a very kind nurse that explained it to me, the doctor told me somethings but he wasn't explicit enough and he told me the pregnancy was a month old, I was confused, until the nurse told me it was tested through my blood and for confirmation they had to use my  urine and the two tests came out positive, well how they were able to extract urine from my body while I was unconscious was beyond me.
I was scared, worried that you would get to know about the baby and then one waybor the other, the lady too will know and i will loose the child but then i concluded that i wouldn't be seeing you again and that would make it  easier cos I had no intentions of letting you know since I wouldn't be returning to your house, I was happy to keep my baby a secret not until you came along again, I just couldn't deal with the stress of it all, that was why I suggested abortion even though I had no intentions of doing that,  I would just leave the country and make everything seem like I died while I was trying to get rid of the baby. Is it a bad thing that I wanted a normal life for my child, you refused and I wasn't willing to pursue it cos even tasted vile while saying it, but there was something i could hold on to should the lady eventually get to know, but still trying to cover up I decided to try out a relationship with Luciano at least they would think the baby belongs to him, but you just couldn't leave me be that it turned out that someway, they got to know that you are the father and I just had to break it with Luciano cos I just had this nagging feelings that he must have sold me out. I didn't tell him I was pregnant but he found out and got angry. Your anger too is quiet scary and I couldn't deal with it especially with all these pregnancy hormones, it just was too much for me, and then you were suddenly inlove with me. I couldn't tell you cos I was afraid you would go overboard and then the danger would be greater and if you don't go overboard it might be that you don't believe me' she said as tears she hadn't known she was holding back poured freely from her face.

Alex sighed as he ran his hands on his face, it is quiet understandable, but she should have trusted him...

That most definitely cannot happen upon remembering that he had himself broken her trust in him.

He moved towards her and sat beside her on the bed.

'I love my child Alex, I can't let anything wrong happen to him or her, this is the only gift I had ever dreamt of, the reason my ex-husband had cheated on me, beaten me, humiliated me right in your office where that rude Secretary of yours and your staff were, that had also been one other reason your secretary mocked me when you were in your office with your personal assistant the day I brought your grandmother, cause according to her, I was not only barren but also frigid to have made you run back to your PA after just a month or so of the so called marriage.' 'I don't want this child because I want to use him or her to boast to anybody, but because I had always wanted him or her in my life and to also show that I am not barren like people termed me to be and at least I did not have to jump on you more than once for the child to happen. So you see, I wouldn't have told you even if I wanted to, but then you found out and I am tired of everything, I know I just can't go on like this, I would give my life for this child and' she brought her hands together in pleading as she faced him where he was sitted beside her 'that is why i am begging you to let us go, leave us alone, pretend we never met'

Alex was silent as he digested everything she had said, he couldn't believe that she had gone through everything all by herself, whereas he had also added to her pains and humiliation just because he was trying to drive home a point, his ego was more important to him than what he felt for her.
'I am the father of this baby Caroline and I love my child too, do you know how I felt when I felt her first kicks just minutes ago?' He asked her holding her joined hands between his larger ones, 'I don't want to loose my baby either, I don't want to loose out of her life, I want to be there when she gives her first cry, I want to be there when she gives her first smile and laughter, when she takes her first step, her first fall, I want to be there to pick her up, Caroline, I don't want to let her go until I hand her over, successfully to her husband. I want to be there for her in every step of the way' he said.

'The only thing I can do is to fight alongside you. I can't let you go through all this by yourself, I can't pretend I never met you, I can't pretend I never Loved you, I can't pretend I am not about to be a father. I want you and the full package, the Love, our children, the marriage and everything in between' 'I am fighting this with you' Alex said with finality.

Caroline shivered as more tears rolled down her face, 'you don't understand me...' she began to say again but he interrupted her. 'I know very well what you are saying but no, I am not leaving, I lost you once because I was stupid and blinded by my ego but not anymore, I Love you and I love my child and I will do whatever I have to do to secure your safety and that of our child, I am going to fight for our Love even if you don't and I will make sure those retarded bastards pay for blackmailing us' he said to her.

Caroline shook her head and with a renewed vigour, she stood abruptly from the bed and walked to the door, opening it, she stared straight into his eyes and without blinking said in a very firm voice 'leave'. Feeling perplexed, Alex raked his his hand through his hair, standing up he made towards the door bit stopped right in front of her, she couldn't meet his eyes , he noticed, 'so, you ate sending me out simply because I refuse to let go on you and our child?' He asked with a deadly calm Caroline knew too well as the calm before the storm, he felt the incessant throb on his right hand again and stopped himself from bursting from frustration, instead he cupped her face with his large hands and brought her face up to his, looking directly into her face he said, 'You can't get rid of me because I have become your skin'

'Please go' Caroline said tiredly, 'I don't want to be more stressed than I already am, I need some time to myself'

Alex nodded his head and in one short swipe, placed a chaste kiss on her already chapped lip and murmured a silent "I love you" to her before leaving.