Bullied and bailed

It had been almost a week now that Caroline had been In police custody, the truth of the matter was just that she couldn't get used to it even though she tried to appear unfazed after the first three days, she was constantly bullied by the one eye lady she later got to know was the president of the inmates, and to worsen the matter they were fed with beans that sometimes tastes stale and at times undone, not to talk of the fact that they also give a portion of it to the so called president, according to her it was their tithe, she clung to the cell bar like a life line as the thoughts of her siblings popped into her mind again, tears blinded her eyes again as they flowed down her now red cheeks filled with rashes from mosquitoe bites, she scratched her arm absent mindedly as she wondered what her siblings were presently doing and that moment, she adjusted her leg and winced as pain shot through her leg, she heard laughter from the other inmates, she turned around to find president standing directly beside her with a devillish smile on her face, Caroline felt something liquid trailing down her leg, she looked down her leg to realise that blood was slowly gushing out of an open wound, she never realised she had a wound there till now, her eyes drifted upwards towards president's hand and she gasped in horror realizing that she had been deliberately pierced by her. Before she could protest she felt the knife slash her again right on the flesh covering her right hip bone and this time around she cried out in pain and fell to her knees, she held the place, she suddenly felt herself becoming light headed and she raised a hand to hold the iron bar again support herself, but all she felt was the hard ground welcoming her and and the last sounds was of the loud laughter around her and the thud that confirmed her fall before she blacked out.

She woke up after what felt like hours to the beeping of machines, she tried to move her right hand only to discover that it had been handcuffed to the iron hospital bed post, she tried to readjust her body but had to stop when pain shot through her entire body. She groaned in pain and decided to remain that way. A nurse entered the room and smiled kindly at her, 'you are awake' she said walking towards her, 'here, let me help you up' the nurse said and helped her to sit up right with a pillow supporting her back. She groaned slightly as she accepted the glass of water being raised to her lips, 'thank you' she said and smiled at the nurse, 'the doctor will be here soon,' the nurse said and walked out of the room closing the door quietly behind her.

A few minutes later, a tall man with broad shoulders entered into the room and moved towards her with agile grace, ' hello, I am doctor samuel' he said smiling kindly at her, he reminded her so much of her father, before she could stop the tears from falling down her cheeks. She smiled at him too and quickly wiped her tears away, 'please what hospital am I?' She asked him, 'you are at police Barack hospital'  he said, Caroline only nodded, 'was I supposed to feel light headed or faint from a little loss of blood?'

She asked doctor samuel after a while, the doctor who had been checking if the machines were working effectively turned back to face her, he actually had no intentions of telling her anything about her health, he was meant to report back to the police station but since she asked, he saw no harm in telling her.

'No, but you have not been eating well and your meal has little nutrient or non at all to sustain you and your baby' he said.

Caroline froze, the shock took over her whole being that it took her a whole five minutes to shake it off.

She hadn't been with any other man after Edward except for the man responsible for her present predicament.

She might not have heard him right, she was sure she did not hear him well, so to confirm, she asked again.

'baby?'

The doctor who had been watching her reaction since he told her the reason why she fainted nodded.