𝐯𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐢𝐬

L I A R

L I A R .
act 2, scene 8

──── Z E R O  HOURS MISSING

Inés had always thought she had a sixth sense. She'd argued with about it with Polo countless times when they were eating lunch, back before Marina was killed. Before he killed Marina. Back when they were all just teenagers.

He'd said it was all bullshit. She didn't feel uneasy because something was bound to happen; something was bound to happen because she felt uneasy. She just caused bad things to happen to authenticate her 'supernatural' connection.

Maybe he was right. Maybe he wasn't. But there was nothing she could do to stop the feeling of despair creeping up on her that day. And there was nothing she could do now to prevent the events that would come after.

Inés had started anxious when she had come home from Caye's failed gala. The house was quiet, a stark contrast to the state she had left it in; the shouts of her mother and father bouncing off every wall.

She'd gnawed at her nails until there was barely anything left, thinking always about Samuel. Did he get home okay? Was he thinking about her? Had he gone to the police?

Once she'd hit skin and started to draw blood from her fingertips, she dialled up his number and waited anxiously at the other end of the line. She let it ring - but he didn't pick up. Inés called him again and again, each time with more and more urgency. She crossed her fingers, mumbled prayers under her breath, hoping that it wasn't too late.

If she had just been more resilient, if she had stuck it out for just 10 more minutes, she would have heard Carla ringing her. But by the time the blonde girl dialled her number, Inés was already asleep, phone in hand in case Samuel rang her - but the buzzing wouldn't wake her till morning.

 But by the time the blonde girl dialled her number, Inés was already asleep, phone in hand in case Samuel rang her - but the buzzing wouldn't wake her till morning

──── T W E L V E   HOURS MISSING

In some strange stroke of luck, Madrid was quiet when Inés was driven to school. Barely a car on the road and the sidewalks were only littered with a handful of pedestrians. That set off her worry even more.