𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬

L I A R

L I A R .
act 1, scene 3.

The clock on the wall grew louder with every tick as Inés was hounded with more questions by the inspector. "When was the next time you saw Nano?"

"About a week later." Inés nodded, tears beginning to well in her eyes as she reminisced life before Marina's murder.

"And why was that?"

"Marina and Samuel were put together for a school project and he wanted me to help him. We had to make fake social media profiles for each other and he wanted my advise." Inés paused for a moment to wipe the sole tear trickling down her face. "I was supposed to be working with Lucrecia at school so I went over to his house after."

"I thought you and Marina weren't close."

Inés looked up. The smirk on the inspector's face told her hat she though she had caught the girl in a lie. She thought she would crack. But that was the one thing she would never do.

"No." Inés answered. "We weren't. But he thought we were because I'm friends with her family. And I said yes because I wanted to spend as much time with Samuel as I could."

──── F O U R MONTHS EARLIER

"MAMÁ?" INÉS CALLED from her front door, "I'm going to a friend's to study

"MAMÁ?" INÉS CALLED from her front door, "I'm going to a friend's to study."

"Okay, cariño."Her mother replied from elsewhere in the house, "Your father has just arrived so kiss him goodbye."

Inés shut the door quietly behind her, waiting as her dad strolled up to her with his briefcase in hand. "Hola, papá." She mumbled as he kissed her cheek. He had only just loosened his punishment for drinking so much at Marina's party, so she knew how thin the ice she was treading on really was. She was finally allowed to visit her friends today, and had been allowed access o her piano only yesterday.

"Have fun." He smiled. Inés both adored and despised her father's ability to act like everything was okay. Selfishly, she hated knowing he was disappointed but refusing to clue her in to his true thoughts. She didn't mind it if he was covering up something that would upset her, naturally.