𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐢𝐬

L I A R

L I A R.
act 1, scene 16

INÉS COULD TELL by the Inspector's distant state that her interview was near its end. They had together recounted a falsified version of events that made it near possible to like her to Marina's murder.

Well, at least that's what Inés hoped she had done.

"Let's talk about the night Marina was killed - the night of the party." The Inspector clarified with a huff while she reorganised the papers in front of her. "Did you know Marina and Nano were going to run away together?"

"Yes."

The Inspector seemed taken aback by Inés' blunt answer. "Why didn't you try to stop them?"

"I did."

──── B E F O R E THE MURDER

DEEP CONVERSATIONS SOUNDED insincere over the phone, Inés had decided

DEEP CONVERSATIONS SOUNDED insincere over the phone, Inés had decided. She could barely make out what Nano was saying due to all the disturbance, and the sound of her car's wheels turning didn't make it any better.

"Speak slowly." She instructed the boy once more, tired of his words being interrupted when the car passed under a bridge.

She'd already told him to ring her back when she arrived home from school, but he insisted that it was urgent.

"I can't do it, Inés." He mumbled again, clearly distraught. He didn't listen to her advice, but Inés could hear the upset in his voice.

"Can't do what?" She urged.

"I can't leave you." Nano's response knocked all the air out of Inés' lungs. "I can't run away with Marina when you're all I think about."

Inés didn't know how she was supposed to react. This wasn't one of the scenarios she had factored in to her plan. Tonight she was supposed to pay Marina for the watch at the dance, she was going to leave with Nano and Inés would be the one left to mend Samuel's broken heart - just like she had always wanted.