𝐜𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐨

L I A R

L I A R .
act 1, scene 4.

WITH EACH QUESTION she was asked, Inés felt her eyelids grow heavier. She was tired.

Tired of being interrogated, tired of Las Encinas and tired of lying.

"What does this have to do with Marina?" Inés stuttered out. Her confused self failed to see the relevance of the inspector's questions, specifically those surrounding her love life. Inés was growing bored of repeating the same 3 word answers.

"We're trying to get a better picture of her relationships with Nano and Samu." The inspector answered.

Inés almost began to smile. They didn't have a confession. They didn't have anything that linked her to Marina's murder. The police didn't suspect a thing.

"Inés, why did you continue seeing Nano after this?" The inspector asked, focusing solely on the notebook in front of her. When the girl refrained from answering, she looked up and encouraged her to speak, "If you were jealous of Marina and Samu, why did you keep meeting up with his brother? I'm assuming your friends - or your parents - wouldn't approve of your relationship?"

Mierda. The inspector was trying to piece together a motive that would convict her of killing Marina. Inés kept a straight face as she answered, "We were just hooking up, it wasn't a big deal."

"But it must have been." The inspector replied, "It must have meant something to you for you to expose Marina's HIV diagnosis to them both."

──── F O U R MONTHS EARLIER

"INÉS!"

THE DARK haired girl turned around on the bridge as she heard someone call her name. It was getting late, and if she hadn't immediately recognised who was shouting her, she wouldn't have stopped at all. Inés had stayed behind after school to practise her piano playing free of her parents interruptions, but she called it off prematurely when she received a party invitation from Samu.