𝐬𝐞𝐢𝐬

L I A R

L I A R .
act 1, scene 6.

"THE DAY AFTER was Guzmán's birthday." Inés smiled quietly to herself. She remembered the day fondly, knowing it was the last time she played 'happy families' with her parents. After that it all went to shit.

"Guzmán said you and Marina seemed like close friends after his party." Inés nodded at her statement, "Did she forgive you?"

"I don't think so." The girl smiled bitterly. "I don't think you could ever forgive someone for doing something like that. I know I wouldn't." Inés could feel a knot tying in her throat. She forced back her tears as to not seem insincere in the inspector's eyes, but she couldn't help but well up at the thought of how different she was to Marina.

Marina Nunier didn't deserve to die. But maybe Inés Almero did.

──── T H R E E MONTHS EARLIER

BROWN HAIR BLEW around Inés head as she and her parents waited in the wind for the Nunier's gate to open

BROWN HAIR BLEW around Inés head as she and her parents waited in the wind for the Nunier's gate to open. She held on tightly to the box containing Guzmán's birthday cake with one hand, and clutched to his present in the other. If it wasn't for her mother's offer of carrying the cake halfway up the pathway, Inés was sure it wouldn't have reached the front door.

"!Feliz cumpleaños!" All three Almero's sang as Guzmán's smiling face appeared in the doorway. He pulled his best friend into his chest, nodding politely as her parents entered his home.

Inés could hear her name being called from the dining table, so she shut the door behind her and let Guzmán lead her inside. She smiled widely at the cheers that erupted from Carla and Lu, sitting gracefully in the seat between them.

Marina failed to lock eyes with her until her brother kicked her under the table, forcing her to send a sarcastic smile in Inés' direction. Guzmán furrowed his brows at the heated interaction, imploring Inés to tell all with his eyes. She ignored him however, and focused all her attention on the gift giving that was about to take place.