𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐞

L I A R

L I A R.
act 1, scene 11

INÉS HAD BEEN left alone in the interrogation room for all but 5 minutes when the Inspector returned. She wore the same hard expression she had when she left, but as soon as the door closed behind her and she re-took her seat, Inés knew something had changed.

"I don't think you've been telling me the truth, Inés."

Though her' heartbeat quickened dramatically, the brunette tried her best to remain unfazed. What had the Inspector been told that had made her suspect Inés had been lying?

"What makes you say that?" Inés asked while biting on her nails - a nervous habit she was sure the Inspector had caught onto by now.

"You said at the beginning of your interview that you and Marina weren't friends. But that's not true, is it?"

──── T W O MONTHS EARLIER

MARINA NUNIER RARELY ever texted Inés

MARINA NUNIER RARELY ever texted Inés. She could only recall a handful of times they had messaged each other. That was why it felt so superficial when the notification popped up that she had texted her.

Inés had been laid on her bed since Azucena let her leave school early. She hadn't moved an inch since she'd arrived home. Her mother had hugged her at the door, but after that second of contact, Inés had been utterly alone, wilting in her own sadness for a few hours.

She'd traced the paintwork of her ceiling thousands of times when she felt her phone buzz beside her. Her notifications were only turned on for a small number of people (i.e. the ones who had sided with her on the matter of her father's arrest), as she knew she would be inundated with people asking about her family's circumstance.

The phone buzzed again, and Inés picked it up with a huff. The bright screen made her realise how much time had passed, as the sun was all but set and her room was fairly dark.

Can you pick me up from the hospital?

If Inés had any prediction of what Marina would have messaged her, it certainly wasn't that.