𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐨

L I A R

L I A R .
act 1, scene 5.

"DO YOU NEED to take a break, Miss Almero?"

"No." She replied quickly.

The inspector's face remained in its usual stoic look. She nodded. "Did Marina find out you told them?"

"Yes."

"Did she ever ask you why you did it?"

Inés nodded. "At the charity gala."

──── T H R E E MONTHS EARLIER

"MUY HERMOSA, CARIÑO." Luis grinned as his daughter stepped out of their car. Inés laughed and spun around in her gown, linking both her arms with one of her mother's and one of her father's. They all gladly accepted flutes of champagne as they entered the winery and kissed each other goodbye as they headed to find their respectful company for the night.

In the moment, the only recognisable face Inés could seem to find in the crowd was Christian's, but he quickly whisked her away once she greeted him.

"No time to talk." He mumbled as he led her back out of the winery, opening his arms wide as he welcomed Lucrecia at the entrance. "Miss Mexico!" He greeted. "Look at me, all dressed up."

"Like a leading man from a 1999 soap opera." Lu rolled her eyes, smiling only at her best friend, "Hola, chica." She added, kissing Inés on the cheek.

"Gracias." Christian grumbled sarcastically.

"It's my act of charity for the night." Lu smiled.

"Lu, if you're mad at me, don't take it out on him." Carla called as she approached the three with Polo at her side. Inés could tell at school the two had fallen out, as they were constantly battling each other for her attention, but neither wanted to tell her why.

They kissed each other's cheeks, "Why don't we try to have a good time?"

"Okay." Lu agreed, though still with a degree of hostility in her voice, "But it's quite clear you don't need me to have a good time, dear." She nodded her head towards a smirking Christian, which only further confused Inés.