𝐯𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐝𝐨𝐬

L I A R

L I A R .
act 2, scene 4

"DID SAMUEL ACT any differently towards you over the past few weeks?"

Inés felt a strong sense of déjà vu as the Inspector asked her her questions. She'd answered them all before, with different answers, when Marina was killed. But even though she was answering truthfully, she was still lying. Every reply was doctored to make sure no connection could be made through this investigation to the other.

She had to look completely detached from everything. But she still had to help find Samuel.

"Most of the time he was the same as always." Inés mumbled, pulling her blazer sleeves over her hands. "But he was convinced someone else killed Marina. To start with, I just thought he was in denial about Nano but then he started to get really paranoid."

"How so?" The Inspector asked, suddenly scribbling quickly on her notebook.

Inés took a deep breath. She could confess this detail without compromising anything - she had already deleted every trace of what had happened anyway.

"He started checking my phone."

──── T H R E E MONTHS EARLIER

THE ONLY THING keeping Inés going throughout her day was the thought of getting to go to the club when school ended

THE ONLY THING keeping Inés going throughout her day was the thought of getting to go to the club when school ended. Although she had previously expressed clear resentment towards the place, it had started to warm on her - especially after what had happened the day prior.

Daydreaming about what might happen that night had made her late for class, and as she trailed her way towards her science classroom, she was stopped by a row of lockers.

"Inés," Samuel began as he cornered her against the wall, making sure she couldn't shrug him off like he expected she would.

"What is it?" She sighed, knowing he wouldn't stop pestering her about what they had done for at least the next few weeks.