Chapter 35

The rest of the week went by and I worked at the pub almost every day. Today was Sunday and I was about to pull some frozen bags of fries when I suddenly felt a slight sting in my stomach. I left the bags and hurried into the staff bathroom and sat down at the toilet.

My underwear and jeans were covered in blood and the pain got even worse. Bending over in pain a realization hit me. Tears started forming in my eyes and I couldn't hold them back. I sobbed as someone knocked at the door. "Elena? Are you okay in there?" Palina asks from the other side of the door. I couldn't speak, my body wouldn't let out a single word.

I reached over and unlocked the door. She was the only one who could help me now. I opened the door and motioned for her to come in. She was shocked when she saw the blood and quickly rushed over to me and hugged me. I clung to her and sobbed even harder. "It's okay honey. You'll be okay" She comforts and slowly strokes my head.

After I had calmed down a bit, she lets go of me. "I'll bring you a new pair of pants and then I want you to go home and relax" She says and kiss me on the top of my head, and I nod. My throat is dry, and my cheeks are stained from all the tears.

It was almost lunchtime and I had planned to eat lunch with Arthur. What if he was here, waiting for me? As Palina opened the door all I could see was him, standing there looking at me. His eyes were wide at the sight of me, my thighs were bloodstained, and my clothes were mostly covered in blood as well. Tears were falling again, he looked so hurt.

Palina quickly closed the door and I was now alone in the room again. I started sobbing again. The pain was gone, and I felt empty. Like someone had ripped my soul away and there was just darkness.

Palina came back and from what I could see, Arthur was not behind her. He must have left; I had just lost our baby, so this had to be hard on him too. She placed the new pair of pants on the sink and smiled at me. "I'll be right outside if you need me" She says and walk towards the door again. "Is he here?" I ask, my voice barely audible. She stops and turns towards me. "Yes, he is outside. Do you want me to send him in?" She asks and I shake my head. I couldn't face him right now. His face was still planted in my brain.

I managed to clean off most of the blood and prepared myself to walk out of the bathroom. He would be standing outside, and I would break down again if I saw him. As I reached for the door handle the door suddenly opened and Arthur stepped into the room. I was holding my bloody jeans and underwear in my arms but dropped them as he entered and closed the door behind him.

My knees got weak at the sight of him, but before they could fall to the floor, he catches me. His embrace makes it hard to hold back the tears and I am soon sobbing again, into his chest. "I'm sorry" I manage to say, and I feel him kiss the top of my head. "It's not your fault" He says low like in a whisper. I heard what he said, but I felt like I had hurt him. Like I had physically hurt him.

"Can we go home?" I ask, my throat so dry from all the crying. "Yeah" he sighs, and he helps me up. My legs still feel weak, but I slowly make my way out of the bathroom and towards the backdoor. Palina had gone to do my work and I felt bad for her, but right now I wanted to go home.

Back at Arthur's place I went straight to bed and pulled the covers over me. I wanted to escape the reality of what happened today. My head was aching, and my eyes were so tired that it was hard to stay awake.

Arthur hadn't touched me since we left the pub, he had walked behind me all the way here, probably making sure that I didn't end up collapsing. He probably wouldn't touch me anymore either. I had gotten his hopes up and he was so happy after I showed him the little bump that had appeared just a week ago. Everything was fine, or so I thought.

I woke up and pulled away the covers to find out I was alone in the house. There was only silence surrounding me, it was dark outside as well, so I guess it was late. I sat up and felt all disgusted with myself, my cheeks were still stained with tears and I was wearing some old pair of trousers.

With the little energy I had left in me I walked myself into the bathroom. I stopped as I saw myself in the mirror. I quickly looked away before I felt my eyes getting painful from the tears pressing on. The water was warm on the skin, like a warm comforting wave that washed over my broken self.

But as soon as I let a hand move over my stomach, I couldn't hold it in. I sank down onto the shower floor and let the tears fall again only for them to get washed away by the water pouring down on me.

"Elena? Where are...?" Arthur walks into the bathroom and sees me on the floor. I can't help but keep sobbing watching him. I felt so empty, so alone even though he was here. I watch him walk over to me and sit down next to me in the shower. His long hair and clothes getting soaked. He didn't touch me, but I really wanted him to. He probably wanted to keep a distance, seeing how I had turned into a mess from this.

Imanage to stop crying and rest my head on his shoulder. His rest his head onmine and we just sit there in silence, looking out into the air while the waterkept pouring down on us.