Chapter 17

!!! SUPRISE !!! Another chapter for this week😉

When I woke up again an looked over at the clock hanging at the wall next to the TV and sighed into the pillow I had hugged in my sleep when it was 3am in the morning.

I got up on my feet and stumbled a few steps before I walked into the kitchen mo make myself a cup of tea, even though I should probably just walked up to the bedroom, put my head on my pillow and slept a few more hours.

As I lifted the cup to my lips my mind once again thought of Arthur. About Alex and his abusive behavior towards me. Somehow it made me wonder how his parents was like. While I stood leaning towards the counter in the empty kitchen, I looked out the window to my right and saw a string of light appear in the horizon out at sea. I hope my dad was safe and that he came home soon.

Last time he went out, the boat went down and he got hurt really bad. While all this was happening I was eating dinner with Arthur, having a laugh and totally unaware of what was happening. I was opening up to him and now realised that he didn't share as much of himself. He kept it a secret about who he really was and about how he saved my dad, but he was there and helped me through it.

As I took another sip of my tea I made a face in disgust and spat the now cold tea back in the cup. I poured the rest of it into the sink before I began walking towards the stairs and towards my room. There had to be something to do that would wear me out and help me sleep.

I read for not very long when I looked over at the clock at my nightstand and saw that it was almost 4 hours since I started reading. I hadn't been sleeping at all. This was going to hit me hard later.

As I got up my body suddenly filled up with all this energy so I decided to go for a hike since closing my eyes and try to sleep wouldn't work.

I started climbing up the hills behind my house and stopped to catch my breath for a few seconds while I looked up at the tall cliffside surrounding the town. It was cold out and my thin sweater and leggings wasn't the best idea to walk out in, but I kept going

My throat was hurting and my chest was beating rapidly as I reached the top and looked out over the dark blue sea. The sun had just started to peak over the horizon and it was beautiful to watch. I had never seen as beautiful as this. My chest was burning, but I didn't care as I sat down and watch the sunrise.

All this beauty and fresh air was almost therapeutic and made me think about how I was treating myself. How I had been treating myself these last couple of days. And where I would go from here. I couldn't go around punishing myself when someone else who I didn't even want to mention right now, already did.

A few hours later I was walking towards the backdoor of my house. The hike was refreshing, but I couldn't wait to get in from the cold and have a nice warm shower. I had left my phone at my nightstand and I picked it up to look at the clock. It weren't long until I had to be at the pub.

The shower felt like it was washing away all the pain I had felt, even though I knew it was only hurtig in my mind.

Palina smiled at me as I walked into the kitchen an hour later and I smiled back at her. "Good morning Palina" I said as I hung my bag on the wall and pulled down my apron before I tied it around my body.

Before she opened her mouth to speak, Victor came walking in an looked at us both. "Good morning girls" He said and we both smiled back at him. "Elena? Have you seen Arthur lately?" He asks and hearing his name made a slight sting in my chest, even though I had promised myself to not feel like this anymore.
"Not since last night, he was here for a brief moment" I answered him and he nodded.

He didn't say anything else and walked out of the room. I looked at Palina and she stared back at me. "What do you think Victor needs Arthur for?" I asked her, but she just shrugged her shoulders before getting back to what she was doing.

Some of the men had come back from sea this morning and was now enjoying a celebratory drink while chatting about their trip. Dad hadn't showed up yet, but I guess there was still some of the boats weren't back yet. While I poured some water in the glass to a sweet old lady enjoying her lunch with her husband the door opened and everyone turned silent for a bit.

"There is that man again" she whispered to her husband and I froze for a bit before I turned around and saw Arthur in the doorway looking back at me. His eyes met mine and he stared for a bit, probably getting used to my short hair even though it was drawn back in a ponytail.

I quickly turned around and walked towards the bar just as Victor popped his head out of his office and called Arthur over. Arthur made his way across the room and the others in the room followed him as he did. I tried to focus on something else and had to clutch my hand to the point where I thought my nails was cutting into my palm and drawing blood.

I continued doing my work and cleaned the tables after people had started leaving. Arthur had been in there for some time now and I started to wonder what they were talking about. I was bending over one of the tables when I saw someone coming towards me in my side view and stood up.

"How are you doing?" The raspy voice brought up so many images in my head. "Fine, no thanks to you" I answered back and turned my head to look at him. He just nodded back to me and I could feel a heat building up inside. Why was he even talking to me? Did he think he could just come back and pretend like everything was alright?

I turned away from him and walked away, but soon realized that he was following me. I stopped and could feel the warmth of his body towards my back as he came to a halt just centimeters from me.

He just stood there for the longest of time and somehow I hoped that he would touch me, even just the smallest touch. I was fighting back tears as I heard him sigh and brush past me towards the door.

After he left I felt like I could breathe again, like I was waking up from a dream where I'm drowning. Suddenly I remembered that there was still people here and that they now was staring at me.

I just continued walking and closed the door behind me when I walked into the kitchen. This was hard and I had to fight to keep back a stream of tears. It is hard to breath and I slowly sink down to the floor.

"Elena is everything okay?" Palina says and drop what she has in her hands and hurries over. "No" I say in a sob and she hugs me before the tears start falling.