Chapter Thirty-Four

Really sorry this upload is late. But as some of you know, I have a really busy year in school right now so writing is quite a challenge. I should even be doing work right now but here I am writing. Shh don't tell anyone. Lol. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

RECAP:

‘So, how did you two meet?’

Maxine and I looked at one another and it was almost like a signal:

‘Get ready’.

‘Well actually, Daddy, John and I met at work.’

Mrs Rivers paused her dishing of spaghetti from the bowl to Maxine’s plate and looked from my face to Maxine’s with spaghetti hanging in mid air.

‘Pardon?’ Maxine’s dad asked.

‘We met at work. We work in the same firm.’

‘Different departments?’ Maxine’s dad questioned.

‘Urm, no.’ Maxine answered with a slight shake in her voice.

‘Maxine Rivers. Who is this man to you?’ Maxine dad fired, looking me straight in the eyes with the deadliest of glares.

‘He’s my boss.’

MAXINE’S POV

Once those words left my mouth, the tension in the room increased a hundred fold and my heart beat escalated. I could hear the blood in my veins pounding through my ears. It made no sense but that was the height of fear that I was feeling when I spoke those words to my dad. God, if this was how I was feeling, goodness knows how John was feeling. I was scared to look at him though. Looking at him would make me crumble or just burst out of the room. I couldn’t look at him. I had to concentrate my dad and make him calm down so that this whole thing wouldn’t get blown out of proportion.

‘Sorry Maxine. Can you repeat that again for me please?’ Daddy asked, leaning forward slightly in his chair.

‘John is my boss.’ I whispered.

‘Louder.’ He demanded.

‘John is my boss daddy.’ I spoke a little louder. If you listened very closely, you would able to hear the slight tremor in my voice because I was that scared.

‘Is this a joke?’ Dad questioned looking me dead in the eyes, making me feel as though I were five years old and had just broken one of mum’s plates.

‘No.’

‘Have I taught you nothing?’

There was silence in the room as I didn’t reply. I turned to my mother was sitting diagonally opposite me, next to her husband. I tried to catch her eyes to signal to her that her help would be greatly appreciated but she was staring straight ahead into the food.

‘Of all the men in the world to fall for or start a relationship with, you decide to mingle with your boss? Really Maxine? Really? It’s like everything I told you was dirt. Useless and small.’

‘Daddy.’ I started.

‘And you,’ he said, turning to John, ‘what are you benefitting from this huh? Are you doing this for a good image among your peers? Is this some sort of dare from your friends? See how long it takes to get sweet innocent Maxine Rivers into bed. Is that it?’

‘Sir-‘ John was cut off from speaking by my dad.

‘Do you find this funny or amusing? Is she just some little fling to pass your time with? Is that it?’