Chapter Six!

CHAPTER 6

MAXINE’S POV

For the tenth time, I re-read the first paragraph of the page in front of me. I had been trying to do some background research on a company we were drawing up contracts for, and so far, I hadn’t taken in anything. The little scene that had happened this morning had shattered my concentration and attention spam making it hard to focus on what was in front of me.

I sighed and pushed myself away from my desk, whipping myself 180 degrees to look out of the view outside my office. There were buildings everywhere. Tall, wide, glass and concrete. People were bustling up and down the street; all rushing off to be somewhere, someplace-a destination. They all had a busy life to control and tame. They all had a goal. And here I was, looking at them taking control of their own lives whilst mine was turning haywire because of some guy. Whether or not he was my boss, he was still some guy. And guys could be dangerous.

Now it wasn’t like I hadn’t had my fair share of relationships, it was more like I was cautious of the opposite sex. I had picked all my guys out carefully. Very very carefully. I didn’t do short term relationships; I was more of a long term person. And my shortest relationship had lasted five months.

Something told me that if I decided to be with John, my shortest relationship record would decrease. I really didn’t want to risk that.

I sighed outwardly and jumped slightly as my mobile rang. I rummaged through my bag and eventually pulled out my blackberry. I frowned as the caller was displayed as unknown.

‘Hello.’ I answered cautiously.

‘Hey Maxy,’ a deep voice droned through the receiver.

‘Hi Tony. How can I help you?’ I asked hesitantly, really wanting to drop the phone on him.

‘How about coming over to my house so I can taste those lovely lips of yours?’

‘Tony, we’re not together. How many times do I have to tell you that?’ I questioned.

Tony had been my shortest relationship. My current record. My last boyfriend. We had met at my friend’s birthday party and had started talking due to the fact that he had smiled continuously at me throughout the first hour of the party. Whilst we talked, we had discovered that we had many alike hobbies and interests and that even our opinions on some things were very alike. Especially the work and pleasure rule. We had basically hit it off. He took me on a few dates, before we made it official that we would embark on an exclusive relationship. From the beginning, I had told Tony that I didn’t sleep with the guys I dated. My mother had raised me to respect myself and my body. It wasn’t due to the fact that I was deeply religious, though I definitely believed in God, I just didn’t see the point in joining yourself to a man that you wouldn’t be with for life. So yeah, I was in my mid twenties and still a virgin. Tony hated this. He had shouted at me, swore at me and even cursed me for not giving him the sexual pleasure that he craved from my body. We had argued almost once a week until I had grown tired of his pleadings and grovelling. I told him it was over after he had once again asked for sex after a dinner date. No one in my family or circle of friends understood how I had put up with him for five months. But the thing was, he hadn’t been like that at the beginning. It was when he realized that I really wasn’t going to give him what he wanted that he had hit the roof. During our pre-exclusivity period, he had been sweet, cute and an utter gentleman. And now here he was, asking me to come to his house for some macking time even though he knew I was working.

‘Look, I have to go. You know I’m at work.’ I hissed through the phone.

‘Yes but that doesn’t stop you from feigning a sicky so you can come and see me.’

‘Are you deluded? We are not together. It’s been almost four months since we were together as a couple. Leave me alone.’

I didn’t wait for his reply. I simply ended the call and rested back on my chair.

Another ring rang, but this time it wasn’t from my personal phone. It was my office phone.

‘Rivers.’ I stated.

‘Maxine, my office. Now please.’ John’s voice rung through the phone.

Once I dropped the phone, I locked my computer and walked over briskly to John’s office. I knocked once and he instantly shouted for me to enter.

‘You wanted me.’

‘I know you don’t deal with the criminal cases in this firm, but I was wondering whether or not you would want to shadow me for this case.’ He said without looking up.

‘Why me?’ I questioned.

‘Why not you? You’re new to this level of cases. I just wanted to show you how big they can get. This is only one of the cases I want you to shadow me in. The other is in your line of speciality.’

‘So what exactly do you mean by shadowing you? And what would happen to all my other cases?’ I questioned. I couldn’t just abandon my current cases just to shadow John. It wasn’t professional.

‘You can still continue with your current cases of course. I can’t ask you to leave those alone. But I want you to dedicate two days of your week with shadowing me on these days. So pick two days, and then tell me so we can get started.’

‘What are the cases about?’ I questioned, all the while looking at the wall as he refused to look up at me and address me. Maybe it was because of our little scene this morning.  I didn’t know.

‘Well, Anthony Evans has been suspected of raping China Hill: the heiress to the Oil business on the rise: Oyster. He isn’t being held in custody but is instead on bail. We’re defending Mr.Evans, just so you know. He claims that he didn’t rape Miss Hill; although he admits that he was a bit forceful at first, but that in the end she gave in slightly reluctantly but gave in none the less. According to him, she was the other person in the tango.’

Throughout his introduction to the case, all I could do was stare. Partly because his lips looked really tasty and tempting when he was talking, but also partly because of the fact that I couldn’t believe that Tony had gotten into such a huge scandal. But then again, weren’t there many people in the world with the same name and surname?

‘Do you mean Anthony Evans: the accountant who works in Charters For You?’ I asked politely.

Although I had tried to keep my voice light so as not to let John think that I knew Tony, something must have crept into my voice to cause John to look up suddenly.

‘Yes. Yes he is. How do you know him?’ he questioned me, a cold, hard look in his eyes.

‘Um, mutual friends. Met at a party. That sort of thing.’ I said nonchalantly.

At that, John raised his eyebrows.

‘He’s going to come in here a few times obviously, to discuss his case, but under no circumstances do I want you to be alone with him. Understood?’

I jerked my head back slightly to show my surprise at his protective tone. John was talking to me like I was his personal property to monitor.

‘I’m a big girl John. I don’t need you getting all protective, especially when I’m not yours to protect.’

John’s eyes narrowed slightly and for a few minutes, there was silence in the room. There was so much tension in the room, you could literally slice it with a sharp edged knife. I couldn’t tell what John was thinking, but I could feel an angry vibe coming off of him.

‘I pick Mondays and Fridays to work with you. If you need anything else, you know where I am.’ I said before I swiftly exited the room. Now, I know this was very brave of me, but I didn’t know what else I could have done. If I had stayed in there a minute longer, I didn’t know what would have occurred. Would John have gotten angry at me? Shouted at me? Kissed me? I didn’t know. But to avoid all of those things, I took the easy yet dangerous option and walked out.

Vote and comment pleaseeee, thank you :) xx