Chapter 3! :)

I just wanna thank every single person who reads this book, votes and comments. Please please do continue. You've already put me in the top thousand for Teen Fiction. Hope u enjoy this chapter. And thanks to iJoker, for the amazing bookcover.

CHAPTER 3

JOHN’S POV.

I walked into the office on Monday morning feeling like the weekend should have been much longer than only two days. I had slept in on Saturday, later on working out at the gym before finally hanging out with my boys in the evening. Sunday had gone quickly too. I had dealt with some papers and then gone to my parents’ for lunch. I could have worked from home today, very easily. But one thing stopped me. That beautiful girl that calls herself: Maxine Rivers.

There was something about her that knocked me off my feet. She was smart, hard working, driven, funny, not to mention absolutely gorgeous. Her dark straightened hair was always perfect and shiny. She could outshine any L’Oreal advert lady any day. She was slim but not skinny and had every curve in the right place.

I shook my head in disbelief. It was going to be very hard to keep myself from my rule.

I placed my briefcase on the floor next to me, removed my blazer and stretched a little. Monday morning always made me feel like getting out of bed was a crime and should definitely be made illegal. There was a small knock on the door.

‘Come in.’ I shouted slightly.

The door opened slightly to reveal Maxine’s face. Her face looked fresh and innocent as she smiled slightly at me as if she were nervous. It just made me like her all the more.

‘Good Morning Maxine. How’re you feeling?’ I asked her.

‘Kinda nervous. Sorry I disturbed. Just wanted to say a quick hi. It’s just you and me here so far.’ She said.

I immediately wish she hadn’t. We had the whole floor to ourselves, in fact the whole office. Images of me slamming her against the wall and kissing her senseless popped into my imagination and I shook my head.

‘Are you ok?’ she asked looking slightly concerned at my head shaking.

‘Yeah sorry. Um, are you all set and ready for work now?’

‘Almost. Just need to rearrange my new office. There’s so much space I don’t know what to do with it. I don’t know how you managed to make yours look so roomy.’ She sighed taking an appreciative look around my spacious office.

‘It’s simple really. Do you need any help since it’s just me and my two helpers?’

‘Two helpers? Are there more people?’ she asked looking outside of my window as if that would give her some insight.’

‘No. My helpers are these two babies,’ I smiled flexing my muscles.

‘You are such a guy.’ She laughed.

‘Thanks. It would be really uncomfortable for you as I assume you’re not a lesbian, if I was anything else don’t you think?’ I asked.

Once again her laughter rung out. Because it was so silent and hardly anyone had arrived yet, her laughter seemed to fill out the silence that had been so obvious. I liked that. She was easy to talk to and easy to please. Girls who were high maintenance and thought they were God’s special gift to this earth really didn’t float my boat. No thanks.

‘So how come you’re just moving in this morning?’

‘I spent the days of last week talking through my cases with Gillian. I wanted to make sure she understood each and every one of my cases.’ Maxine gestured her hands to the invisible cases in the air as if to emphasize her point.

‘You know you didn’t have to do that. I’m sure if she had any problems, she would have come to you for some help.’

‘No I wanted to. It’s okay really.’

I smiled slightly. Truly dedicated. Must that one to the list of her qualities.

We walked into her old office that contained numerous amounts of boxes; all containing her office items. I looked around her small office and asked myself how she had managed to survive in such cramped conditions. It was obvious that she also had to share with someone else which made me sympathize with her even more. I didn’t want to seem like a spoilt brat by saying these things to her, even though I kinda was.

‘So can you and your helpers help with these boxes please? Or would it be too much work?’ Maxine questioned.

‘You wish.’ I smiled back at her.

I leaned down to grab three boxes piled on top of each other and lifted them up.

‘Whoah! Are you sure that’s not too much John?’

I simply shook my head and walked towards the elevator. There was no way on earth I was taking the stairs to carry these heavy boxes. I was strong but no way was I superman.

‘You lazy ass boy.’ She laughed at me.

‘Watch your mouth girl. I could get you fired.’ I joked.

Maxine instantly went quiet and became serious. Suddenly I realized that she had obviously thought I was serious.

‘Maxine, I was joking. You do know that right?’ I asked. She did know that I had been joking right? I mean, come on, I wasn’t that bad of a joker was I?

There was a ping to show that we had reached our desired level, so I picked up the boxes and carried them into Maxine’s office. Dropping them down on her desk, I smiled and simply asked what more she wanted me to do.

‘No it’s okay. I’m sure you have loads of work to be getting back to.’

I shook my head and insisted on more work. I don’t what came over me. This was a law firm for goodness sake, and I was one of the partners. I wasn’t as big a partner as Allen Rod but I was a partner all the same. And partners dealt with big things. Big cases. Big clients. Big business. They had specific people to carry boxes for employees; so why was I doing it?’

‘John, honestly, it’s okay.’

I moved closer to her, enjoying the feel of heat that was radiating off her body.

‘I want to help you move your stuff. Me and my helpers are yours to command.’ I smiled as I looked into her pretty light brown eyes.

She smiled slightly at the mention of my helpers.

‘Are you sure? Cause this isn’t normal.’

‘Normal? What do you mean?’ I questioned; confusedly.

‘Well, you’re my boss. You’re not meant to be helping move offices. You’re meant to be ordering me around and piling up work on my desk. This,’ she gestured between myself and the boxes, ‘isn’t normal.’

‘I’m not normal. And I promise you that I will not be your average boss.’ I said. I was almost willing to put my hand on my heart and make that promise to her.

‘Are you willing to keep that promise?’ she asked  lowly. All of a sudden, Maxine seemed more closer than she had just a second ago and her eyes seemed just a tad darker. My thoughts went haywire as all I could think about was the fact that Maxine was right here, wanting me.

‘What are you doing to me?’ I asked.

All train of thought left my body as I realized that if moved just a few more inches down towards her, my lips would be immediately attached to hers. No hassle.

‘Nothing.’ She smiled and then proceeded to walk out of the office and down the stairs.

Vote and comment pwease :) x

Thanks