Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER 16

John’s POV

Oh goodness. What just happened?

I was hoping I was wrong. Maybe even dreaming because I didn’t want to believe that Maxine had just slapped me after I had kissed her.

‘What the hell was that for?’ I hissed at her.

‘Oh Get a clue. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’m a human being with emotions just like you. Playing with me isn’t exactly something people would call nice John.’

‘Ok so I guess then wasn’t the right time to joke around with you. I apologize for that.’

‘Yes, you should be sorry. I should actually slap you one more time for it in fact.’ She shouted again.

I held both her hands down beside her body and smiled at her.

‘Naughty girls get punished Max. So trust me when I say you wouldn’t want to slap me again. I’ve already apologised to you.’

‘Are you threatening me Jonathan Grays?’ She asked raising one eyebrow in question.

I laughed lightly to cover up the fact that I was slightly turned on by the way she said my name.

‘Have I told you how sexy it sounds when you say my name?’

She smiled

‘Flattery will get you nowhere John.’

‘I’m not trying to flatter you. Honestly, have I told you how sexy it sounds when you say my name?’

‘No you haven’t. Now do you mind letting me go? I have work to do. And as my boss, you should even be encouraging me to do my work shouldn’t you?’

I nodded my head in agreement as I stood up from her desk and backed her up against the wall of her office, using one hand to hold both her delicate hands behind her back whilst my other hand was above my head.

Her face was very close to mine and I could see those beautiful brown orbs more up close than before and I revelled in their beauty.

‘Yes I should. Remember that time when I told you that I promise not to be your average boss?’ I asked hoping to recover a certain memory from her brain.

‘Yes what about it?’

‘Here I am, fulfilling that promise. Forget your work for now. Right now, it’s just me and you. We have unfinished business.’

‘What unfinished business would that be?’ she asked me.

I bent my head a little in order to capture her lips with mine. It had been getting quite hard to watch her speak, with her lips so close to mine, and not do anything so I gave up trying to try so hard not to.

I had only managed to kiss her for two seconds before she pried her lips away from mine and smirked.

‘You don’t get to kiss me until we finish talking Mr. Grays.’

‘That’s not fair.’ I frowned.

What kind of torture was she trying to inflict on me? Not being able to kiss her and yet remain so close to her? Talk about a challenge.

‘That’s what you get for playing with my emotions. Now step back so we can talk. Maybe if you behave yourself, we’ll finish talking early.’

‘And move on to something else?’ I suggested

‘No promises.’

I sighed in defeat. I had no reply to that so I let go of her hands, stepped back and watched her walk back to her desk.

‘Are you going to sit down?’ she asked as if nothing had just happened.

I shook my head, ran my hands through my hair in frustration and placed my hands in my pockets. At least if I was standing, I could walk half my frustration off by pacing in her office.

‘So why did you decide to come into my office then John?’

‘To apologize to you. And then I was hoping that maybe you’d be available this evening at seven.’

I actually hadn’t been planning to take her out this evening at all. I was simply hoping to ask for forgiveness and kiss the living daylights out of this woman but I guess my head had other plans for me.

‘Why would you want to apologize to me?’

Maxine was going to make me spell this out for her I see.

I walked towards her chair and knelt down in front of her hoping that she would find this at least a little romantic and soften up towards me.

‘I was going to apologize for trying to be a clown at the wrong time. I shouldn’t have tried to be funny when you were finally admitting your feelings for me.’ I said stroking her legs.

‘Ok, firstly, stop that. It tickles’ she smiled while she removed  my hands from her legs, ‘and second of all, maybe we should just leave this.’

I was confused. What did she mean leave this? If she thought that I was going to allow her to take this relationship back all the way to square one, she had another thing coming. I was this close, this fricking close to finally getting her to go out on a date with me and she thought I was going to let her go.

‘Nope. I’m not leaving this at all.’

‘Why not?’

‘Maxine, I really really like you. How many times do you want me to say it? Do you really think that now that you’ve finally admitted your feelings for me that I’m going to let this go?’ I asked looking her straight in the eyes so she would be able to clearly see what my answer was going to be.

‘I’m guessing you’re not.’

I pulled her up from her chair, against me, so I could once again feel the warmth that her body was giving off.

‘You and I are going to go out tonight on our first date. Is that okay with you?’

Now you’re probably wondering why I hadn’t asked in a nicer way. Why hadn’t I asked her if she wanted to go out tonight? But I kind of did didn’t I? I was simply tired of her changing her mind over and over again. I knew that Maxine already had doubts over whatever it was we had going on and I wasn’t about to give her room to change her mind again.

‘Maxine?’ I asked when she still hadn’t replied.

‘I’m just-‘

‘Actually, don’t worry. I’ll pick you up by seven okay?’ I dictated.

Her cute eyebrows furrowed together as I gave her a quick kiss and exited her office.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I was going on a date with Maxine Rivers.