Chapted Twenty-Threeee

Here's another chapter. Hope you enjoy it :D

RECAP:

There was a knock on my door and the object of my thoughts came in to the room.

‘You kind of stopped talking on the phone. Are you alright?’

I looked at him, at the phone that I had glued to my ears but hadn’t spoken into and then back at John again.

‘Oh. I’m sorry.’ I sighed.

‘Its fine. We need to talk.’

‘No, I need to say something.’

CHAPTER 23

‘Really? You now want to talk to me?’ he asked as he crossed his hands over his chest.

This became slightly distracting because his black blazer stretched slightly over his well toned body and I couldn’t help the way my eyes were instantly attracted to those toned areas.

‘Um, yeah. Yes, yes. I do want to talk to you.’

‘And if I don’t want to talk to you?’ he raised an eyebrow looking me straight in the eye.

‘Then that’s up to you. Your choice.’

There was silence for what seemed like an hour when in reality, only managed to be approximately two minutes.

‘What do you want to talk about?’ he asked curiously finally uncrossing his arms and saving me from being distracted every two seconds by his body.

‘I want you to explain to me why you cheated on your ex girlfriend.’ I simply stated.

‘Why didn’t you let me do that before?’

‘Because I told you before Jonathan that I wanted to think. But you refused to listen to me.’

‘Because I didn’t want to give you time to conclude the end of our relationship. But it seems you already did.’

I looked away from him then because I was on the verge of concluding that and I didn’t want to look him in the face and tell him that.

‘If you don’t want to be with me anymore, I don’t see why you’re here.’

‘I just want to hear your side of the story. Why did you cheat?’ I questioned.

‘I don’t see why I should explain it to you.’

‘Look John, you are the one that wanted to tell me remember? You’re the one who refused to leave me in peace because you were adamant that you would tell me your side of the story. I’m giving you that chance right now.’

There was silence again as both of us looked at the other with heated gazes. I went from staring at his body and wishing that I could just touch him to wanting to throw him off his seat and walk out of the office. How did this guy manage to do this to me? how did he manage to make me switch emotions within five minutes.

‘Fine. I’ll tell you then.’

‘Good.’

I relaxed in my chair, held my hands together and watched him intently as he began to talk.

‘Talia and I had been going out for about seven months when it happened. The first time I saw her was at a club. I guess I should have realized then that it wouldn’t work. My mother had always told me that whatever women I met in a place like that wouldn’t be the one for me. But I didn’t listen. I should have, but I didn’t. Anyway, the first night that we met was one of the fastest moving nights that I have ever had. I was supposed to have a one night stand with her but it turned out to be way more.’

I kind of zoned out at this point because I realized that well, John wasn’t a virgin. I knew it was highly unlikely that he was because come on, the guy was in his thirties. I just, was kind of wishing that he would still be.

‘..cheating on me.’

‘Pardon? Sorry, rewind a little.’

‘I said, the first hiccup in the relationship was when one of my work buddies told me that he saw one of my best friends with Talia and they looked a little cosy. He then went on to say that he suspected they were cheating on me.’

Wow.

‘And what did you say back to him?’ I questioned.

‘I was angry and called him a bastard. I mean Marcus and I had known each other for quite a few years now and we were quite close. I trusted him and even called him my brother. I mean, there was no way that he would betray me like that with a girl that I was with. He wouldn’t break up our friendship like that.’

‘So was he?’

‘Yes. I walked in on them one day. They were kissing in the kitchen and were halfway through stripping each other. Obviously, I was mad. I was angry. But I managed to forgive both of them after a while. I apologised to the guy at work and told him that he was right. He was extremely surprised to find out that I had forgiven both of them for what they had done to me but I told him that there was no point in holding grudges like that. The funny part was that I thought I was doing the right thing. You know, forgiving and moving on and all that. Anyway, as time went on we got over it. then one day, my ex called me. Eve and I were together for about a year and broke up because we realized that we had stopped loving each other. Both of us didn’t really know how to explain it because it had happened so gradually that we didn’t realize it until one day. Anyway, we were still friends as there was no grudge. So one day she called me and told me that she wanted to tell me something. I said what was it? Eve told me that she had aborted the baby that she had fallen pregnant with while we were still together. To say I freaked would have been an understatement.’

‘Oh my goodness.’ I sighed.

‘Yes. Everyone who knew me knew that having a big family was something that I really wanted. I wanted a minimum of three kids so the fact that Eve had aborted our first step to being a family was a massive blow. To now add salt to injury, I found out that Marcus and Talia had continued sleeping together after I had forgiven them. Mother then called me during all of this to tell me that Dad and her were separating. Basically, my life was spilling out of control in front of my eyes. I didn’t confront Talia nor Marcus. I didn’t speak to my parents and I refused to pick of Eve’s calls. I just stayed away from those who were close to me. I started drinking and smoking and sleeping with girls. My life was just out of control and I didn’t know how to stop it.

I crossed my legs together and bit on the corner of my lip.

‘So what happened?’

‘My dad came in one day after I’d had a heavy night one particular day and gave me a long lecture. Probably the best lecture I’ve ever had. He encouraged me to get on with my life and told me that this wasn’t the end. Life wasn’t going to end just because of all that was happening to me. he told me that instead of acting like a victim, I should take control and be the victor; so I did. I’m not saying that what I did was right Max. Trust me, I’m not. But you need to understand that I didn’t do those things in the right state of mind. I mean look at me. Do I look like the kind of person who would act in that manner? It was just a dark time in my life that shaped me to be the strong person that I am today. I’m not going to bully you any longer into being with me. I just want you to know that I like you and want to be with you. Whatever conclusion you come up with, I will respect.’

I nodded slowly.

Another silence ensued as I deliberated, processed and thought about everything that he had just told me.

What should I do?