Chapter Twenty-Eight

I'm kind of tired of apologizing because it must seem meaningless to all of you by now. But I just wanted to thank you so much for being patient with me. School literally has me swamped with work now. I just really can't wait for the summer to come. At least I'll get a break then. Thank you so much for reading. Please vote and comment xx

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

John’s POV.

Driving to Max’s house, I was nervous. For myself and for her too.

When I had informed her of the dinner, she had panicked slightly.

Few Hours Earlier...

‘Pardon?’ she had asked.

‘My mother wants to meet you tonight at 7pm. She says she wants to meet the girl that I’ve been supposedly hiding away.’ I rolled my eyes.

Maxine’s hands loosened around my neck and a panic stricken look came across her face.

‘What’s wrong Max?’

‘Isn’t it a bit too early to be visiting each other’s family?’ she asked.

‘We’ve been together for some months now Max. I don’t think it’s that early. Stop looking so worried.’

‘But. I can’t.’

‘’What are you so worried about?’ I questioned. ‘I’m sure you’ve met the family of your previous exes in the past. Right?’

‘Yes but they weren’t as old as you are. They weren’t as wealthy as you. And they weren’t all mama’s boys.’

I laughed at her.

‘I am so not a mummy’s boy.’

‘Right. Of course you’re not.’ Max nodded.

‘Baby, honestly there isn’t anything that you should be worried about. As long as you don’t have a criminal record and you haven’t slept with half of England, I think you should be fine.’

‘Well that just makes it sound so much less scary. Thanks so much.’ She smiled, her voice dripping heavily with sarcasm.

I brought my forehead to hers and held her close to me.

‘You are going to be fine. Just be yourself and she’ll love you. Honestly. Just stop panicking.’

Maxine sighed and then nodded slowly.

‘You can leave a bit early if you want to go and get ready.’

‘No. that’s called special treatment. I’ll just finish at half four and then go home to get ready. I just hope your mum likes me.’

‘She’ll love you.’ I smiled.

‘Okay. We’re going formal right? And you’re picking me up right?’ she asked.

‘Yes and yes. I’ll pick you up at half 6.

And now here I was in front of her house and panicking a little. This was a big step for me. Taking a girl home to meet my mum was not something that I took lightly. My mother was a very important figure in my life and having Max have dinner with her was going to say something about the rest of our relationship. If she got on with my mother, needless to say, I would definitely be taking our relationship to the next level. Who knows maybe Max may even be the one for me? The one I came home to or with after a long day’s work at the office? The one who would carry my babies? The one whose toes I would massage when we grew old together? I smiled to myself as I thought about these things. Surely, it must be a little early to think about such thoughts. But for some odd reason, I wasn’t scared or worried that I was thinking about these things. I felt happy; content and even looked forward to my future.