Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER 11

MAXINE’S POV

I could technically only blame myself. Just because I had told him it was impossible for us to be together, it didn’t mean that he would be pining for me and hoping like hell we would somehow find a way to be together. That was every girl’s dream though wasn’t it? That she would find a perfect guy, and if she knocked him back, he would be sitting around moping and wishing he could still be with her. Well that obviously hadn’t happened to me. John had plenty of girls waiting for him. I mean it made sense; look at the guy. He was what every girl wanted. I bet he could cook and clean and wash. He probably had a massive house and still visited his parents whenever he had the time. Every girl who met him must want him. And here, I had let him go.

I sighed.

I seriously wish I knew what to do. I didn’t know whether I should take the plunge and just tell him that we should give what we had a chance. See where it took us because he was right, what if I was the one for him and he was the one for me? Or maybe, I should just leave it. Save myself the heartache and the heartbreak. Save my colleagues from any frosty tension if we broke up.

I screamed internally.

I hated when things like this happened. When you were fighting yourself over and over again over one tiny situation.

As I was driving home that evening, I felt like a mess emotionally. Thinking about John and everything he was, was just stressing my emotions to the maximum. So I tried to block him out. Easier said than done. As soon as I walked into the house, my phone started ringing. I ignored it. But the person called persistently; over and over again. Now normally I’m a stubborn person but the shrilling of the phone was bugging me so bad I had no choice whatsoever but to pick it up.

‘What?’ I said picking up the phone.

‘Girl, what is wrong with you?’ Louise snapped at me.

‘How many times does a person need to call before the other person picks up the phone?’ she questioned angrily.

‘What if the person doesn’t want to pick up the phone?’ I asked back

‘And why would the person not want to do that? What’s wrong with the person?’

I rolled my eyes at all the hypothetical questioning that was going on but carried on regardless of how ridiculous we both sounded.

‘Maybe the person has had a rubbish day and just doesn’t want to speak to anyone?’

‘Well then the person should know that they can ignore every other person but their best friend. Never, their best friend.’

I sighed at that.

‘Whatever.’ I said giving in.

‘So what happened to you?’

‘John happened to me. That guy and everything about him happened to me.’

‘You’re making no sense. What did he do?’

Then there was a scream.

‘Oh my Lord, did he bed you?’

‘You better know the answer to that question before I disconnect this phone.’ I frowned through the line.

Louise sighed on the other end at my bluntness.

‘We kissed. A mind blowing, super hot, amazing kiss. And then I told him I didn’t want to be with him. I told him that I didn’t want to take the risk of being together and then having it blow up in our faces.' I whimpered.

‘And now it’s too late. He’s already got some woman sitting on his lap looking like she’s in control of his life and what not. I’ve blown it.’

I honestly felt like slapping myself. There couldn’t be anybody as silly as I had been in this world. Nobody felt like slapping themselves more than I did right at that point. Nobody, and I meant nobody, knew how extremely stupid I felt.

‘Louise, say something.’ After a few minutes of silence and tutting from her.

‘I don’t know what you want me to say. I told you to scrap your rule. You had an opportunity to grab the world’s finest man, and you threw him away all because of some rule. Max, some rules are meant to be broken. You shouldn’t let rules affect the way you live, or else you might as well not live a life worth living. The only thing you can do is pray that the man is the kind that doesn’t give up. Or just wait it out.’

I sighed for what seemed like the millionth time in the past week.

‘I think I’ll just stay away from him. Or maybe if I ignore my feelings and keep things professional, then the feelings will go away.’

‘I doubt that’ll work Max, but it’s up to you. Try your way, and if it doesn’t work, then you can try winning him back.’

‘How would I do that?’ I asked confused.

‘Looking extra nice every day. Doing the whole flirty thing. Come on, you see it in the movies all the time. Get with the flow.’

I laughed at her. The weirdest things come out of her mouth.

‘Movies aren’t real.’

‘You sound like my dad. Movies may not be real, but they still teach you some valuable lessons grandma.’ She huffed at me.

‘Whatever. Let me let you go. See you tomorrow yeah?’

‘Of course. Goodnight.’

‘Night.’