Chapter Thirty-Two

Hey guys. This chapter is seriously short and I'm really sorry but right now, I have a lot of work to do. I'm sorry. I know you guys are unhappy that I took so long and I'm sorry to have dissapointed you. I hope you like the chapter though :)

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

JOHN’S POV

All week I had been seriously nervous about meeting Maxine’s family. In fact, nervous was a huge understatement. I had actually never been so anxious about meeting any of my girlfriend’s parents. But then again, Maxine wasn’t like any of them. She was so special. She made me laugh on a regular basis, I missed her even if I had just seen her ten minutes before, she made me smile just thinking about her and her smile was contagious. As soon as Maxine smiled, her whole face would light up and the effect of it just gave me peace within. I sighed to myself. If I had it bad before, I was officially hopeless now. I was starting to sound to myself like one of those guys from a bad romance movie-all in love with the soppiest of feelings. This was what I had turned into and I was proud of it. If I saw anyone on the street whilst I was with Maxine, I would gladly introduce her as my girlfriend, my lady, my woman. Anything that clearly stated that she and I were very much in a relationship. I loved to do it especially when we happen to come across men that either of us know. According to Maxine, my arm automatically goes around her soldiers and I pull her closer to me. I was unaware that I even did it and so would naturally deny it whenever Maxine would tease me that I was a jealous guy. She called it cute. And I absolutely detested that word. A grown man of my age and status should not be referred to as cute. No way. Anyway, back to Maxine. I just want the world to know that she’s mine. And I had to start from home. My side was done, now just to tell Maxine’s side.

I had bought a hamper for both Maxine’s mum and her dad. Separate ones. I had wondered whether or not I was going too far, but then decided that the farther I went, the better. It was better or over impress than under impress. I even baked a chocolate cake to give to Maxine’s mum so she enjoy my skills in the kitchen. When I arrived at Maxine’s door that evening, you could tell that I was a nervous wreck. She opened the door wearing a long black maxi dress that clung to her along with a light blue cardigan that had silver buttons. she wore long dangly silver earrings and a pair of flats. Her hair was down and curled and she looked, as always, breath-taking.

‘Ready? Do you need me to go inside and get you something?’ she asked me.

‘Can you wear a bin bag or something?’

‘Excuse me?’

‘It’s going to be hard having to focus on impressing your parents and making sure they like me whilst you’re sitting down next to me looking as amazing as you do right now.’

Maxine laughed and placed  a hand on her hip.

‘You’re funny. You know that right?’ she asked me.

I shook my head. I hadn’t even been joking. I was scared she was going to distract me and then I would come across as some sort of pervert who was only after her body, to her parents. And that’s exactly what I didn’t want to happen. I was panicking enough already.

Maxine, came closer to me and put her hands on my chest and then looked into my panicking eyes.

‘Oh God. John, you need to calm down. Even if my dad doesn’t like you, it’s not about him. It’s you and I in this relationship, not you, I, my parents and your parents. Okay?’

I nodded.

An hour later, everything Maxine had previously said had escaped me. It had totally left my brain. I stood in front of a big white door carrying the two hampers with Maxine next to me holding the cake I had baked.

‘I still can’t believe you went to this much trouble for this dinner. You didn’t have to buy this or bake this cake.’

‘I wanted to Max, honestly, it’s alright.’

Maxine knocked on the door and two minutes later, a tall, tanned man with dark curly hair opened the door. His eyes instantly locked unto Maxine’s eyes and exclaimed in excitement.

‘My baby!’

‘Hi daddy’ she smiled back.

‘Daddy, this is Jonathan Grays. My guy.’

‘Oh so you’re the man who’s been keeping my baby busy. Watch yourself.’ His eyes bore into mine before breaking into another smile.

‘Come in come in,’ he said opening the door wider.

‘What’s all this that you’ve brought with you?’

‘John brought both you and mum hampers and he also baked you a cake.’

‘Wow, that sounds serious. Should I be worried that maybe he plans on marrying you?’

Maxine stopped in her tracks, as I did in mine, and an awkward silence ensued as we both watched her dad. I didn’t know what to say. Well yes, I seriously had it bad for Maxine Rivers, but marriage? Was I ready for marriage? Was I ready for forever? Forever with Maxine? With Kids? For both of us to grow old together? Faithfulness till the day that we both died?

‘Why have you both gone silent? Is marriage that awkward a topic these days?’

I cleared my throat and said awkwardly:

‘We haven’t talked about that stage of our relationship.’

‘Why not?’ Maxine’s dad said as he crossed his arm.

‘Urm, well...’ I choked. Suddenly the temperature in the room had increased immensely. I was scared of saying the wrong thing. Giving the wrong impression.

‘Dad, stop it. Leave him alone. He doesn’t want to marry me. Stop being mean.’

Maxine dragged him round a corner and walked.

‘Wait, I didn’t say I didn’t want to marry you.’ I whispered.

‘John, come on!’ she shouted.

‘Coming!’ I shouted back.

This was going to be a seriously long night.