Chapter Twenty-Four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

JOHN’S POV

I sat there staring at her battling with herself about what to say to me. I didn’t know what to feel. Anticipation, anxiety, patience or hope. Different kinds of emotion were mixing through me and I knew my face must have been a sight to see. Every time her face looked neutral, I would think that she had come to a conclusion, but then she would begin to bite her lips and furrow her eyebrows which were a clear indication that her inner turmoil was still ongoing.

‘Do you know what? Just go and think about it. I don’t want to rush you. It’s okay. Really.’ I said.

It was bad enough having to wait for her. It was another thing for me to sit in front of her and watch her come to a conclusion. That was driving me nuts and I couldn’t stand it any longer. I wanted her to eventually come to me and give me an answer. Watching her would not solve anything whatsoever.

‘Is that okay with you? For me to go and think about it, I mean. I don’t want to keep you on edge.’

‘No really, trust me, it’s fine. I’m telling you to go and think about it. Relationships shouldn’t be taken lightly.’ I said forcing a small smile through my features to help her feel reassured and good about me telling her to go and think about her final conclusion.

‘Ok. I’ll be here by the end of the day to give you my final answer. I promise.’

I nodded my head once to signal yes and watched her walk out of my office. For a while, I sat down on the same chair and stared at the chair that she had been sitting on. I wasn’t ready to let Maxine out of my life; not my personal one at least. I liked what we had, and I know that it could blossom into something even greater; possibly love.  There were so many things that I liked about her. The fact that she could hold a conversation unlike so many girls out there in this world. All they wanted was great sex. A lot of them didn’t care about personalities or relationships; they just wanted your money or sex. Those were the wild ones. The other types were the clingy types. You kiss them, they talk about it for days. You text them, they text you back with hundreds of kisses. When you don’t reply to their text within ten minutes, they begin to wonder whether or not you actually care about them or the relationship when all you did was wash the dishes. Maxine wasn’t any of those. She was intelligent, caring, beautiful, witty and funny. I enjoyed seeing her face light up whenever I told something funny or complimented her. I enjoyed the way she kissed me, teased me, touched me. everything about her made me smile and I was not about to let her slip away. I made up my mind right there and then to do whatever I could to ensure that she came back to me. She just had to.

To busy myself I started on the work that I had. I completed so much paperwork, typed and printed so many files, called a lot of clients and companies and even managed to clear my office. I delved myself into my work so much that by the time I looked up to breathe again, I had almost completed all the work that I thought would take me weeks to do. I picked up my phone to call the local restaurant and ordered some sweet and sour chicken for myself. Just when the man asked if there was anything else, I remembered how much Maxine loved Chinese so I put the man on hold and called Maxine.

‘Hello.’

‘Hey Max, would you like some Chinese?’ I asked her

‘Oh that’s really tempting.’

I laughed. Her childish side was coming through already, and it seemed as if she had even forgotten that we were not on friendly terms.’

‘Come on, I can order your mixed beef curry and it will be delivered before you know it.’ I smiled through the phone even though she couldn’t see me.

‘Ok fine. Call me when the guy comes over so I can pay.’

‘You know I can’t allow that. What kind of man would that make me?’ I questioned with a frown on my face. My mother had raised me to be a gentleman so there was no way that I would allow a woman that I knew to pay for food, especially when I had been the one to ask whether or not she wanted it.

‘Please don’t do this. We’re not together right now, you don’t have to be the gentleman.’

‘But we’re not exactly over so I’m still something to you.’

‘You’re my boss and this is unprofessional.’ She said in a soft tone as if trying to convince me.

‘No. I’m the guy you like right now. who’s weak spot you know. Who’s kisses you love. Who’s hands you love on your body so please let’s not argue about this. I’m paying and I’ll tell you when it’s delivered.’

I heard her sigh defeated down the phone and I knew that I had won the battle.

‘Bye’ I smiled.

‘Bye.’

I dropped the phone and went back to the other line that the Chinese restaurant was on.

‘Sorry to keep you waiting so long, but can I please have mixed beef curry please.’

‘Yes sir.’

‘Thank you. I hope it won’t take too long.’

‘No sir.’

‘Alright. See you soon.’

‘Yes sir. Thank you for your service.’

I lay back unto my chair and intertwined my hands at the back of my head looking up at the ceiling.

‘Boy, I got it bad.’ I said to myself silently.