Chapter Fifteen

Slightly Unedited but filled with love. Cheesy I know. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Hope u all have an amazing day :D

.................................................................................................................................................................................

CHAPTER 15

JOHN’S POV

I had been letting off some heavy steam by delving into my work when Maxine walked in. Her beauty had an effect on me every single time she walked into my office. Her dark hair was packed up into a ponytail as she often liked it to be and her black skirt suit clung to her body as if it were hugging her body for warmth. Her eyes bore into mine as she said:

‘We need to talk.’

‘Ok. Take a seat.’

‘Can I sit on the couch? I’ll feel like you’re actually my boss if I sit opposite you on your desk.’ She said.

I nodded and watched her as she calmly sat down.

For a few seconds there was a humongous awkward silence in the air and I felt like screaming. I knew that was what Maxine was scared of. This awkwardness. This tension. All the weirdness. She hadn’t wanted it. So I searched for something to talk about. Something casual and friendly.

‘I hope you’re enjoying your office. You seem to have settled down well.’ I smiled fakely at her.

‘John, you don’t have to do that.’

‘Do what? What am I doing?’ I questioned as if I were innocent. Which technically I was.

‘Come here please.’

For a second I stayed put on my chair. Scared to move. But then I stood up and walked towards where she was sitting on my couch.

‘Sit down John.’ She whispered.

I sat.

Now the atmosphere was even more awkward than before.

‘Maxine. The silence is slicing my throat. I don’t like all these vibes I’m feeling.’

‘I need to say some stuff to you. But the problem is I don’t know where to start. I don’t know how to put what I want to say into words. I don’t know how to show you what I want to say.’

I frowned. Now she was making me nervous.

‘Just put it simply Max. I don’t need to hear complicated jargon.’

At that, she turned to me. Now that she was closer, I could see that her eyes were slightly puffy and red around the rims. She had been crying!

‘Why have you been crying Maxine?’ I questioned.

I scooted closer to her and lightly stroked her cheeks.

‘What’s wrong? What’s happened? Was it someone in the office?’ she nodded.

‘Who? Come on Maxine, talk to me.’

‘It was you.’ She whispered.

‘Me?’ I asked in confusion. I stopped stroking her cheeks and let my hands fall unto my knees.

What had I done to upset her? All of a sudden I remembered our earlier conversation. Or rather, my long speech. That was the funny thing about my head. As soon as I saw Maxine, I only remembered the good things and the great moments we had had together. All the bad stuff disappeared and I instantly cared about her again. I didn’t know what it meant to be angry or to be upset. This girl right here, was fast becoming my kryptonite.