Files

Skylar's POV:

There have been very few times where I have failed to think of any happy thoughts or feel satisfied. Whether the emotions I were feeling were mine or if they belonged to someone else, there was always some happiness lingering somewhere within me. It was, in a sense, one of the best things about my blessing because it helped keep me positive. It was a gift, a rare one, never to feel sadness, but yet, as I sat at Natalie's dining room table, I felt utter hopeless, and I didn't know how to cope with it.

Instead, I found myself placing my head on my arms while I looked absentmindedly at the wall or the other things in the room. Everything just seemed like one big blurry picture, and I couldn't seem to clear the image. I was instead in a fog, allowing Nicholas to help me move about. It was numbing, and I couldn't figure out how to cope with it, so I just allowed myself to fall victim to the background noises. It was quiet, but at times, Nicholas would disturb the peace, causing me to stare at him. At first, when I would stare at him blankly, Nicholas would just chuckle, and try to smile at me, hoping to make me laugh. Now his demeanor shifted, and he would fidget in his chair before avoiding my stares. Instead of looking away, though, I would just continue to stare at him in an almost death stare. By 10, Nicholas was out of his seat and helping Natalie prepare our breakfast, seemingly uncomfortable in my presence. Yet, even with him a few feet away from me, and his back turned, I continue to stare at him. It was only when Natalie walked over to the table with the food that my attention shifted towards hers. Unlike Nicholas, though, Natalie didn't try to make any gestures towards me and simply continued to prepare the table. It was only when she was finished setting the table that she looked at me, holding my graze, not moving an inch. For a second, I thought we were playing a submission game, and after a few silent moments, I was ready to submit at the sight of her eyes starting to shift colors. Thankfully, when Nicholas grabbed a hold of Natalie's shoulder, she finally looked away from me.

"Now isn't this a sight to behold! How does the joke go? A hunter, an angel, and a descendant walk into a church? Oh, what a commotion that would make," Nicholas said as he glanced at me.

Instead of responding, I continued to stare at him while Natalie grabbed his hand and took it off her shoulder.

"Come on you two, start eating. We need to leave soon," Natalie said as she took her place at the head of the table.

Lazily, I lift my head off the table and just stared at my empty plate.

"Here, let me serve you, my queen," Nicholas said as he reached over for my plate.

"Nicholas, you have to stop babying her," Natalie mumbled.

"I'm not babying her, a queen never serves her plate," Nicholas responded.

"And yet here I am, doing so," Natalie responded.

"Well, if you give me a second, I will serve you too," Nicholas said as he flashed Natalie a smile.

Rolling her eyes, Natalie ignored Nicholas as she started to fill her plate with food. After a few, Nicholas returned my plate, causing me to turn my attention towards it. He had served me a waffle, some eggs, and bacon strips. Any other day, I would have started eating right away, but today, I didn't have an appetite.

"Come on, my queen, eat. You need your strength," Nicholas said as he started to fill his plate.

That only caused me to stare at him, ignoring his comment completely. Sighing, Natalie put her plate down and turned to look at Nicholas.

"From now on, don't serve her. Let her do things for herself. She is capable of doing it," Natalie said.

"Natalie, I know she's capable, but it's a sign of respect," Nicholas responded as he finally took a seat.