Chapter 14- Tampering with the Dead

(Woo! One thousand reads! I'm so happy that this happened! Seeing the support for this book and knowing you guys all are enjoying this is absolutely amazing and also helps me keep writing it. Just thank you guys SO much)

"You call that a performance?!" My dad yelled at me as I felt his foot make contact with my cheek, making me fall back against the wooden ground as I put a hand to my cheek and felt pain rush through me as I tried not to cry. "You make me look like a fool in front of the entire town!"

His yells rang through the house as I felt my breath hitched in my throat. I wanted to say something. Anything. Just so he could stop beating me.

I backed away slightly as I watched my father retrieve an empty glass bottle from the counter and raised it above his head in a threatening pose.

I kept backing away while trembling in fear as I felt my back hit against the brick wall behind me. I couldn't escape it... Not this time... I couldn't escape the blow that was to come...

He raised the bottle over his head and hit it against the wooden table instead of my face as I heard the glass shatter. I panted heavily and felt a tear fall down my face in fear. Terrible fear. I was scared of what my father was going to do to me next.

"You make me look like a fool!" He yelled as he grabbed hold of me by my hair and hoisted me up to look at him straight in the eye as more tears fell down my face when looking at my father in the eye. "Tears! Really! You're ten years old and you cry like you're still a baby!"

What else was I supposed to do? My father was pulling my hair and kicking my cheek that I felt swelling up a little bit as I trembled when looking at my father in the eye. What I do wrong this time?

"You're weak! Weak! Weak! Weak!" My father yelled as he slapped his hand across my face as I cried even more. It hurt! It hurt so much! "You hear me you damn bitch! You're an actress! Show some strength! Tears get you no where but down!"

He shoved me to the ground where I laid in a small ball while clutching hold of my legs with my arms and crying into my knees as my dad continued to yell.

"You're stronger than you look! So why don't you show it! You make yourself look vulnerable! You aren't vulnerable! You hear me?! YOU ARE STRONG BUT YET YOU DON'T SHOW IT!"

I cried. I cried and cried my eyes out as I kept laying on the ground unmoving. My cheeks stung with pain and my body felt like some punching bag my dad used when he drank too much.

"I-I... I tried, daddy," I said through tears. I finally said something.

I tried my best on stage. I put on a smile when I was happy. I put on a frown when I was sad. I put on a show for the entire town and yet this is what I got afterwards. Beatings.

"Trying isn't good enough!" My father yelled down at me as he kicked my back. It hurt. It hurt so bad.

Why couldn't my dad just talk to me instead of hitting me? Why couldn't he just tell me what I did wrong instead of leaving me clueless? I could get better if he just told me what it is I did wrong on stage.

"Your sister knows how to woo a crowd and yet you just do what you want, making your sister look stupid!" He yelled at me as I cried some more. Please... don't bring her into this...

I continued to cry. I wanted to let my eyes ball out as my tears felt down my face and onto the ground below. I tried my best. I tried. I really did...

Maybe my dad was right... Maybe I had to be a little bit more like my sister...

"Tch. Pathetic. I expect better from you tomorrow..." My father continued as he pointed a threatening finger down at me. He sighed as he walked away from me, leaving me on the ground with puffy eyes and swollen cheeks. "I'm getting a drink..."