Chapter 10 - Home Alone

Ross was visiting his parents for a few days for the new year, leaving Chris and Alex alone for the next couple of days. Ross had left them editing videos in bulk for their YouTube channel. Unfortunately, it didn't last long and the effort of editing led Alex to procrastinating. Trott tried to keep his mind on the work but the constant movement of the red head was too distracting. "Come on mate, lets do something interesting." Smith whined. Trott looked up at the larger man who, in return, stared down at him. Nodding finally and sighing, Chris got up from his chair, his height not closing the gap between them, "What do you have in mind?" Grinning, Smith picked up his keys indicating for Trott to go to his car. Rolling his eyes, Chris muttered complaints but obliged. Sitting in the car, Alex turned to Trott, cheekily grinning. It seemed to be infectious as, despite not knowing, Chris also broke a smile. They smiled at one another for a while until realisation hit them. "So.. Where are we going?" Chris coughed trying to break the awkward silence. Alex reluctantly dragged his eyes from Trott, but smiled again when he turned the ignition. "The arcade," He mused. Chris chuckled then looked back up at Smith, "You're such a big kid Smith."

"Yeah and you're a bloody short one."

Arriving at the arcade a rush of noise hit Chris. Wrinkling his noise, Trott looked up at Smith who grinned back down at him. Putting a reassuring hand on Chris' shoulder, Alex made his way towards an 'Exchange Machine' where he slipped a £10 note into the designated slot. The machine rang as tokens fell into the metal bay. Grabbing a hand full, Smith shoveled them into Chris' arms, "Just like a date eh?" Alex winked, smirking he turned around and collected the rest of the tokens. The blood rushed to Trott's face, he gulped frantically trying his best to calm down. "Chris?" Smith muttered, "Mate there's somthing..." Alex leant forward, his finger tips brushing the edge of his face. Instinctively, Trott quickly battered his hand away. After an awkward moment of exchanging shocked faces, Chris muttered an apology. Nodding, Smith stood up straight and forced an encouraging smile, "Wanna play that?" Alex pointed to 'Time Crisis II'. Smirking Chris nodded, "Dibs on the pink gun then." They fumbled around trying to figure out how to start the actual game. By the sixth attempt it had finally worked and they both dashed back to the plastic guns. Laughs slipped out between the men's lips and the odd curse word was muttered. After 5 minutes a devastated sigh came from Smith as 'DEAD' was plastered across his screen. Trott laughed at the man's overly dramatic reaction but was suddenly snapped backed to the game. "Shit..." He panicked which brought a laugh of revenge from Alex. Shaking his head Smith walked over to him, "Like this," he chuckled. Wrapping his arms around him, Alex guided Chris' arms into a different position. Trott shivered, his breath getting caught in his throat. Taking a quick glance up at Alex, Chris saw the concentration and felt Smith's body curl up and over his. Smith's larger hands moved forward and onto Trott's hands. "Aw mate you di-" Alex's voice hitched as his line of sight collided with Chris'. Smith's eyes fluttered down and settled on Trott's lips. He moved his head closer, resting his forehead on Chris'. Everything stilled. The world seemed so irreverent to them. A harsh vibration on Trott's left thigh brought them back down to earth. Pinks and reds dusted their cheeks as they frantically moved apart. Awkwardly grabbing at his phone, Chris took a deep, shaky breath before answering, "Hello?"

"Hey, mate. Are you at home?" The voice muttered awkwardly, "I think I left my keys there..." Sighing, Trott shook his head. He took a quick glance up at Smith who was staring off into the distance. "Ross. You're a twat. Yeah alright, yeah we're leaving now. Bye. Bye." Sliding his phone back into his pocket, Chris coughed in order to get Alex's attention. Meeting his eyes, Trott quickly looked away again, "Uh.. Ross said he left his keys at Home. I said we'd check." Nodding, Alex walked over to a group of kids. They muttered a few words and Smith handed over the unused tokens.

At home, on the dresser lay Ross' keys in all their glory. Texting Ross to reassure him that his keys were safe, Trott flopped down onto the sofa and let out a sigh. Soon Smith's notably larger body settled down beside him. They sat in an awkward silence for a while until Alex clicked on the tv. Soft murmurs of people from the news muttered into the room. "Sorry. Abour earlier." Smith whispered, his blue eyes meeting Chris' brown. "For wha- Oh.." Both faces darkened to red. "I.. It doesn't matter." Chris' words stumbled out. After an awkward exchange of smiles, Alex's voice wondered out loud, "We're still mates though, right?" Trott quickly nodded and gulped hard, fiddling with the remote in his hand before throwing it at Smith. "Definitely, yeah." Another thick silence settled in the room and they averted their attention to some documentary about WW1. Soon Chris was asleep, his body awkwardly strewn across the sofa. Smith glanced at the brunette, the glance quickly turning into a stare. As Trott's body squirmed and wriggled, Alex gingerly reached forward, slipping an arm around his shoulders. His heart beat raced as he pleaded for the other man not to wake up. Chris' head collided softly with the pillow on Smith's lap. Letting out a shaky breath, a smile creeped onto Alex's face. A satisfied feeling washed over him and he felt his whole body relax with content. Greedily, he ran his fingers through the soft brown hair, absorbing the feeling. The door opened and a crash of bags drowned out the noise of the tv. Snapping his head around. Alex saw the familiar structure of Ross, grinning at the door frame. "Shouldn't leave the door open like that," Ross pointed out, shaking his head disapprovingly.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Alex whispered violently, trying not to wake Trott.

"Good thing it was me, with the door unlocked could've been anyone." Ross peered at the back of the sofa, all that was visible was Smith's shoulders and head. "Where's Trott?" He rose an eyebrow and took a couple of steps forward. Alex's face reddened causing a smirk to form on Ross' lips. As he took a few more steps, he could finally see Chris' head nestled in Smith's lap and his hair intertwined with Smith's fingers. "Don't say anything." Alex warned, his threatening voice being betrayed by the fact his face was blushing. Ross raised both hands up in mock surrender, "Okay, jeez. Only graced you with my presence to get my keys." Ross let out a chuckle that received a glare from Smith. He grabbed his keys, backpack and shoulder-bag then uttered a goodbye to Alex. "You make a great couple by the way." He called over his shoulder, winking before leaving an embarrassed yet seemingly pleased Smith behind.