Chapter 9 - Waking up

"You're... You're awake." Alex stared open mouth, baffled by the sight. Trott simply smiled, a wiry look looming behind his eyes. Smith nodded as if reassuring himself this was real. "I've missed you..." Smith choked, emotions from the last five weeks rushing to his head. "So has the razor mate, what's with the beard?" Chris leaned forward, smiling then ran a hand down the side of Alex's face. Swallowing hard Smith met his eyes, "Do you remember-" He coughed, finding it hard to speak the words he'd practised and even harder to trust his voice. "Remember anything from the night you were attacked?" He glanced up to Trott who had his face crumpled in thought. "No, nothing. Apart from being pissed, taught a 'lesson' and stabbed, nothing." Chris smiled, reaching his hand out he placed his hand on Alex's arm, squeezing it gently. "Thanks for finding me mate, from the look of you I must've been pretty far gone." guilt suddenly took ahold of Smith. Crossing his arms across his chest and gazing at the floor as if it was the most interesting thing in the room he mumbled, "I-I we should've found you sooner." Smith's head fell into his hands, tears began to form in his eyes. "This isn't your fault mate, I'm back in the game now. you couldn't get rid of me even if you tried," Chris laughed. He reached out his arm and ran his fingers through Smith's tangled hair. Slowly lifting up his head, Alex turned his gaze to Trott. Smiling, Trott's hand fell from his head and brushed his face. Catching it with both of his hands. Alex chuckled, wiping away his remaining tears as the door burst open. "Trott! Douchecanoe! Tictac nipples! Twat face! You're back from the beyond, you have been returned unto us!" Ross boomed, making his way into the room. Noticing their intertwined hands he glanced over to Alex, winking. A knowing smile took ahold of his face as Smith's face took on a pinkish glow. Walking further into the room Ross sat on the opposite side of the bed to where Alex was. "I spoke with the doctors before I came in here, they said that you should be good to go in about a week. Just need to check that you can eat and all that jazz." Trott nodded eagerly and took hold of Ross' hand too, thanking him for everything. Smiling they all chatted about useless topics including Smith's newly acquired beard that he promised he'd shave. The atmosphere changed from that of a hospital's to more of a friendly, relaxed feel. Ross' gaze swept over the pair as they enthusiastically talked about how this reminded them of a childhood scenario and he saw how they looked at each other. How they looked at each other the same way, both eyes mirrored love, comfort and acceptance. Ross himself was glad they felt the same way, a bit frustrated that neither was making a move but most of all he felt a pang of jealousy. Admittedly he was straight so it wasn't like he was stuck in a love triangle but he wanted someone to love him like they did each other. Shaking his head free of thoughts, Ross stood up and excused himself saying he had shopping to be done. Smith offered to accompany him, but when Ross refused, Chris encouraged him to go saying that they both needed to get out more. Although really the dark circles under his eyes screamed that he needed rest. Alex nodded and followed Ross out.

Pulling up in the carpark, Ross motioned for Smith to go get a trolley whilst he sorted the boot of the car out. Smith returned quickly and ploughed on ahead to the store. Once inside, the two men strolled aimlessly down the fruit aisle. "I'm so glad he's awake." Alex confessed to Ross. It was obvious that most conversation was going to be based around Trott, but that was fine, it was all Smith usually talked about anyway. Ross nodded, he had missed the small framed man too. "But he doesn't remember." Alex whined. Ross winced slightly, he couldn't wait until the redhead was back to his dirty, trolling, ass-of-a-self. "Remember what?" Ross picked up a bagful of potatoes, shuffling awkwardly around Smith's motionless body. Alex stared blankly at a pile of leaks, "He doesn't remember... Confessing." Ross turned, sighed and placed a hand on Smith's shoulder. He waited until Alex met his eyes, "Maybe it's your turn to confess." Smiling, Ross patted Smith's shoulder and turned away. Alex nodded to himself, feeling slightly lifted but guilty that he was sharing his problems with Ross. They finished shopping quickly and decided to go to MacDonald's before heading home, then back to the hospital. They ate in a comfortable silence, just sat in the parked car. "I'm sorry we haven't spent much time together. Y'know as mates we should be talking and doing crap like that." Alex smiled at Ross who shrugged in return. "Obviously we haven't been able to. Besides you're a twat. Wouldn't want to spend time with you." They both chuckled then continued in the comfortable silence before heading off back home.

***
One week later

"Oh my god, have I missed this place." Trott winced, opening the door dramatically.

"Careful mate." Ross sighed. Trott turned around, grinning and full of confidence. Chris had woken up about six days ago but the doctor let him out prematurely after his miraculous recovery.

On the way home they had gone out and 'treated' Chris to some new bedding, some black sheets and duvet cover to match, as if trying to get away from the hospital's clinical white. Ross dropped onto the sofa followed by Smith. Trott who had clearly come down with a severe case of cabin fever still stood up and stared at them with a disappointed glare. Both men ignored him as it was about 10 o'clock, after all the checks and procedures and the bedding trip to Asda, time just slipped away. Giving up on them, Chris made his way to the kitchen fetching a cup of water. He had to re-familiarise himself with the kitchen, feeling slightly lost in his own home. Shortly after, Alex followed him in to say Ross had gone up to bed and that he would be soon. "I think you should probably get some rest too mate," Smith suggested. Trott downed the water and set the glass in the sink. Nodding, Chris pushed on past to his bedroom hearing Smith's footsteps not to far behind. "Night," Chris called to the household. Smith replied but only a muffled murmer of words came from Ross' room. Walking into his room, Trott noticed that Ross had kindly put on his new bedding. Stripping down to his boxers and t-shirt, Chris slid into bed. He willed his eyes to close and for his mind to flow into sleep, but he couldn't help but watch the clock tick. Rolling over to avoid facing the clock, Chris concentrated on not listening to the ticks. After about an hour and a half he gave up. The truth was he was scared to sleep. What if he didn't wake up? What if he slipped back into a coma and no one noticed? Shivers scattered down his spine and reluctantly he moved out of his bed and headed to the door. On his way back to the kitchen, he noticed a glow coming from Smith's room. His door was wide open so Trott ventured over and peered in. His friend simply looked up, his eyes bloodshot and raw, and smiled. Smiling back, Chris made his way over to sit on the edge of Alex's bed, "Can't sleep?" Smith asked, politely putting his phone away. Chris nodded and Smith motioned for Chris to come and sit next him. Lifting the duvet up for Trott, Smith watched the brunette's small frame wriggle in. They didn't ask anymore questions about why they couldn't sleep, Smith assumed it was related to the accident because he was scared Chris wouldn't wake up too. Their body warmth and reassurance of each other's presence was extremely comforting. Feeling his eyes flutter shut, Smith apologized to Trott and squirmed down slightly so he lay out flat. Chuckling slightly, Chris moved down too and just before he fell asleep, Alex felt a small hand curl around his own. "Night Smith."

"Night."