Chapter 2 - Home sweet Bristol

'Vrrmmmm, vrrmm' Chris' phone vibrated in his pocket. Checking his phone the name 'Twat lord' was lighting up the screen. "Ross?" Trott shouted down the line, trying to hear himself over the airport bedlam. "Yeah mate I'm in Bristol, are you near the airport?" Trott began to move, dodging the barriers of people, idly standing in the way of the entrance.His suitcase dragged behind him, occasionally twisting awkwardly out of his grasp. "Okay see you in ten mate. Bye." Trott hung up and locked his phone then slipped it back away into his pocket. Bristol had been good to Chris in the past, it had left him with fond memories and mixed emotions. But now he was returning 6 years later, at the ripe age of 22. Chris brushed his fringe out of his eyes and at the same time, brushed his thoughts away. The air was sharp and crisp out in the car park and the sky's usual vibrant blue had loomed into a dark navy. It was about 11pm and true to his word Ross was no longer than 10 minutes. The familiar, tall and skinny figure got out of a sleek silver car. His dark hair blending in with the nights sky and his eyes quickly meeting Trott's. The two exchanged an awkward hug and and a few pats on the back before climbing into the car. Chris fitted neatly into the car where as Ross' taller frame bent awkwardly to slide in. "Long time no see, mate." Ross beamed, then averted his eyes to the wheel before then igniting the ignition. "How was America?"

"Good thanks. Glad we stayed in contact mate. And thanks again for letting me stay with you." Chris smiled after fiddling with the seat belt.

Ross and Chris had met about 2 years ago when Ross came to stay in their house. Trott's family let out their attic room for tourists, Ross just happened to be one of them. They got along famously, Ross was a great laugh and both being from Britain they shared that 'British humour' that his American acquaintances wouldn't shut up about.

"Nah it's fine." Ross pulled out from the airport carpark and began along the motorway, taking a few turns onto a less busy road. "Have you eaten anything recently? Perhaps we should go out for a bite to eat?" Ross' eyes flickered quickly and questionably over at Trott. Nodding in agreement, Chris lifted an eyebrow, "Somewhere classy I hope?"

"Haha, oh yeah." Ross chucked and rounded a few roundabouts. He pulled up outside of a boring looking building, "This, um, I need to get some money out." Ross pointed at the chashpoint outside of a bank. Chris put his thumbs up as Ross got out and shut the door. Whilst he was gone Trott assessed his new surroundings. The car wasn't clean nor was it messy, the odd glove or empty wrapper lay about, but it wasn't cluttered. There was a familiar smell in the car, it smelt like his hoodie only a bit stronger. Thoughts and possibilities rushed into his head but they were quickly dashed by the clicking of the opening car door. "Alright, let's a go go." Ross smiled and began driving again, pulling swiftly away from the pavement and onto the main road.

"McDonald's?"

"Haha, yeah." Ross laughed, "Proper class here mate." He put his hands on his hips and looked down at the smaller man. "Come on it's Bristol, what did you expect."

"Ooo controversial mate." Trott wiggled his eyebrows then the two headed in. They quickly ordered the meals to go and began towards the doors, Ross bought two meals explaining that he had a flat mate that Trott would also be staying with. As they returned to the car the strange, familiar scent was replaced with the smell of fast food.

They finally reached Ross' place. It was plain, it was ordinary but suited Ross to a tee. Ross climbed out of the car and opened the boot pulling out Trott's suitcase. Dragging his suitcase inside, Ross unlocked the front door and Trott followed him further into the building before reaching the lounge, dumping his bags and collapsing onto Ross' sofa. Ross followed suit shortly after, bringing the food in with him and joining Chris on the sofa. Trott could hear shuffling coming from another room and could only assume it was the flatmate Ross had told him about, the subject quickly fell out of his interest as he returned to eating his food. Ross turned to face the noise, half climbing over the sofa to see his friend before shouting, "Mate if you don't hurry up your food is going to be cold or gone. Scrap that, it'll be gone I'm fucking starving." Ross muttered the last part to himself as a reply came booming out of a spare room and the voice becoming louder and increasingly familiar as it came closer, "Took your bloody time getting back, I'm starving you twat." the voice laughed. A hand reached over the top of the sofa snatching the food out of Ross' hands before the owner of that hand turned to face Trott and froze in his tracks, looking the smaller man firmly in the eyes, wordlessly questioning him. Ross noticing the sudden increase in tension, broke the silence, "Trott mate, this is the flatmate I was telling you about, his name is Alex and he's almost as big of a twat as you are." Ross nervously laughed, looking at Chris and seeing the cogs turning in his mind. Slowly nodding in disbelief Trott began fiddling with the edge of his hoodie, the one borrowed to him many years ago. Trott spoke up, not leaving Ross' flatmates stare whilst answering, "Yeah, I know, i-it's nice to see you again mate." Chris stuttered.

After what seemed like years of silence and tension, Chris spoke up, "Long time no see."

Alex was shot back into reality at these words, a slight blush dusting his cheeks he began fiddling with his faded dark green and brown braided bracelet, "Too bloody long..." He muttered. The two looked away before looking each other in the eyes again. 'It's really you.' Their eyes told each other, smiles blossoming. Nodding, Smith picked up his food contemplating what to do. 'He could have a girlfriend, there's no room for this.' Alex sighed, he cant still hold those feelings anymore. Not if they were living together. Coughing, Trott brought Alex back to reality, "I'm going to eat in my room." Smith admitted sadly.

"Yeah alright mate." Ross chirped, oblivious to what was going on. Before Smith left he saw a longing and pained face on Trott, before he smiled and turned away. "So you know each other?" Ross questioned Trott who nodded in return, averting his eyes from where Smith left. "Childhood friends we used to be close." Chris Smiled in nostalgia. "Really close..." He murmured.