Prologue 2

About twenty five kids gathered in a classroom with desks littered around them and a large whiteboard at the front. Alex Smith sat in the far left corner of the room, besides an old unused desk. A small hum of noise flooded over to him as excited faces peered through a glass panel in the door. Curiosity picked at Alex's mind until the teacher strolled in with a shorter boy behind. The boy nodded quickly at the teacher, his face painted with nerves, until his eyes met Alex's. A smile bloomed on Alex's face and received a mousey one in return. "Class this is Christopher Trott, he's new to the area and will be joining us from now on. I expect you'll all be hospitable towards him".
After a few more words were exchanged between him and the teacher, the brunette boy made his way over. Taking up residence in the desk beside Alex, the boy gingerly looked up at him. "Alex Smith." The ginger haired boy held out a hand, "Chris, Chris Trott." He mumbled taking the larger hand. It was obvious they were going to get along well.
***
The rest of the day passed by in a blur, a day full of awkward smiles and introductions to his fellow classmates, none quite as memorable as the redheaded boy with that warm smile, Chris kicked himself for thinking like that, they'd probably never speak again, that's what usually happens right? You make polite conversation and then in a couple of months you promise to keep in touch but they end up forgetting about you, right? As if you never existed? But no, no not this time. This time he was staying, those blue eyes and that warm smile would still be there in a couple of months, he could do this, he could have those "real friends", wouldn't have to worry about losing contact because they were staying put, he could do this. So with a renewed spring in his step Chris quickened his pace and before he knew it he was home. Before he reached the front door Chris' Mum pulled up beside him in the car and smiled. "Hey, love how was school?" She questioned whilst climbing out of the car. Chris replied with a shrug and they continued in a comfortable silence into the house. "Well I've signed you up for an after school club!" She continued. "I was hoping you could meet some friends, talk to people your own age!" Chris could see the hope in her eyes, she really was pushing the whole 'friends' thing wasn't she? "Anyway, dinners at 4:00". Chris made his way to his newly furnished room, unpacked boxes covering the floor. 'An after school club huh?' Chris thought, it couldn't be as bad as he feared could it? Realising he probably wasn't supposed to wear his school clothes there he began removing his new and freshly pressed uniform and started carelessly throwing it to the floor, Chris put on an old pair of jeans and a shirt with a catchy slogan that his parents didn't find funny on. Dragging himself downstairs and slumping into a dining chair at the table his mother noticing his change of clothes looked at him expectantly, "so you'll go?" Chris looked at her, she was so hopeful for him, he couldn't say no now could he? "Of course I will, stop looking at me like that!" He uttered with a gruff laugh, "but I'm making no promises on the friend front" to that she just smiled. After quickly finishing his dinner Chris' mother started ushering him outside to the car before stopping at the front door, "you're not taking a coat with you?" Chris just looked at her in confusion, "it's not that cold outside mum, I'll be fine honestly". His mother nodded in defeat and wiggled past Chris to the car. Chris reluctantly got into the passenger seat and watched the familiar scenery of the school flash towards him. Before getting out of the car his mother reached out for his arm, "try and make some friends will you?" Chris just smiled at her, worry evident in her eyes. There were no friends to speak of in his other schools, sure he had acquaintances, but these were all people who wouldn't and later didn't notice his departure. "I'll see you later Mum." She had said he was signed up for the 'graphics and gaming club'. At least if there was no one willing to speak to him he could retreat to a computer he thought. Chris asked where it was being held at the front desk and quickly proceed to the classroom the 'all too happy to help' receptionist scribbled down on the piece of paper. He entered the sparsely populated classroom with his head down, eyes facing to floor. He made his way to a desk and as he sat down he began to chance looking up. As soon as he did familiar bright blue eyes snapped to his direction. Trott's heart beat quickened as the ginger haired boy beckoned him over. "Hey I remember you!" He chuckled, "Trott right? Chris Trott?" Chris blushed at this, he hadn't expected to meet anyone who would want to talk to him, let alone someone who made an effort to remember his name and call him over. "I'm glad your here mate, now I'll actually have someone I can talk to in this place" Chris looked up to the taller boy, a smile stretching across his face, "non voluntary sign up?" He guessed, "yeah my mum thinks I should get out more, your mum sign you up too?" The taller boys hand dropping to Chris' shoulder, "yeah, I guess we're in the same boat" Chris smiled, glancing over to the hand resting on his shoulder and then back to Alex Smith, maybe he would make headway in the friends situation after all.
An hour later, the two boys stood on the school's porch facing the rain. "Oh mate this sucks..." Alex noted, wrinkling his nose in distaste at the downpour. "Why does it have to rain now? Why can't it wait 'till we get home?" Chris moaned, he was stood in just a shirt and baggy jeans. Alex shed his hoodie and threw it onto Chris' smaller shoulders. "You look like you need this more than I do right now" Alex smiled, laughing at his shivering friend. Chris looked up with eyes of confusion and gratitude. "Uh- thanks, thank you mate." He smiled and took of a braided bracelet consisting of dark green and brown strands and handed it to Alex. "Swapsies." Alex smirked and chuckled at the sudden gesture but accepted the bracelet. "A fair trade if I ever saw one" he continued with a warm glance over to Chris. "See ya tomorrow Trott!" He called before sprinting off into the rain towards a car, he could only assume it was his parents. 'Trott' was that a nickname? Did Alex just give me a nickname?' He blushed the thought, 'Trott, I like it'. He slipped on the hoodie and zipped it up quickly. It smelt like the redhead and was too big on Chris' small frame. A warm feeling shivered through his body as he then made his way home, smiling despite the weather.