Chapter Seventy-Eight: To Lose A Brother

Major ran the whole way there. His hooves clattered across the stones of the Lower Town and the square of the castle. Leon was loosely holding onto Merlyn, his grip loosening with everything passing second whilst Merlyn guided Major and kept talking to Leon trying to keep the poor man awake. As Major came storming through, the guards to the entrance of the castle came running towards them. It was clear to see a commotion was happening and that Merlyn needed help.

"He needs medical attention now! Get him to Gaius immediately" Merlyn ordered from a top the horse. The guards all nodded and began shouting for more help. Quickly a gathering of six knights arrived and took Leon off of her. They all knew Leon and each of them showed the shock and worry cloud their faces. Leon grunted in pain at the jostling but eventually the six knights were carrying their friend into the castle heading straight for Gaius. Merlyn could only pray she wasn't too late. Taking a deep breath, Merlyn tried to loosen her grip on the reins she had but she found they were incredibly stiff. She didn't like the way this future was turning out.

Shaking her head Merlyn snapped herself out of her ravine. She had to think of Leon ... and Arthur. Scanning the scene before her she found a small gathering of knights and guards all talking in hushed worried voices. Quickly, Merlyn chose one of them.

"Sir Patrick!" At the call the guard turned to face Merlyn, his gaze expectedly landing on Merlyn who was still seated on Major. The guard did not even question Merlyn and her order. "Go and inform the king that the dragon has been defeated, Arthur is well and searching for survivors." Sir Patrick nodded before he ran off to do her bidding, his newly adorned red cloak, billowing out behind him.

With that done, Merlyn dismounted from Major only to find Jackson stood waiting for her. She gave the stableman a tight-lipped smile and a nod as she handed him the reins - a silent thank you - before she began making her way towards the castle, her destination bound for Gaius' chamber.

~8~

Merlyn crashed into her chambers panting as she did. The sound of the door suddenly being opened gained the attention of the occupants of the room. Merlyn spotted the large wooden table holding the unconscious Leon, Anna was beside him and Gaius was on the other side of the table. Merlyn had no idea why Anna was there but she wasn't going to question it in that moment. Especially as Anna and Gaius looked incredibly upset and troubled. That didn't bode well.

As they looked towards her, Merlyn moved to close the gap between herself and her mentor. Gaius quickly copied her actions. It did not take long for them to meet in the middle. Their arms wrapping around each other tightly.

"My girl" Gaius whispered in relief as he hugged Merlyn tightly. She returned the gesture with great enthusiasm. She was so grateful to see Gaius alive. It was a much needed sight. But there was something tainting their reunion.

"Please tell me you can help him" Merlyn whispered back. She knew Leon was with the physician she was just praying she was wrong and that Gaius could help him. However, Gaius' sigh before he retracted from their hug warned Merlyn it was not to be.

"I can't" Gaius admitted. "He is losing a lot of blood internally and to stitch up the bleed would mean surgery which would mean more loss of blood." Gaius hated giving people such bad news but it was something he had to do, far too often.

"There has to be something" Merlyn pleaded as she clung to Gaius' arms. There had to be something.

"There is only one thing that could save him" Gaius said his words cryptic but easily understood. Magic was the only thing that could save Leon now.

Merlyn knew she had no choice she had to save Leon. Snapping around to look at Anna, Merlyn distinctively remembered conversations she had had with the fellow witch. Feeling her sovereign's gaze on her, Anna lifted her head and looked towards Merlyn.