Chapter Twenty-Nine: Saving Merlyn

Camelot had only just received its new queen and yet Arthur was already being called into the council chambers for an impromptu meeting. The urgency that Leon had expressed did not bode well especially since he asked for Arthur to come completely alone, as in without Merlyn. Whenever Arthur was asked to attend a meeting in the council chambers Merlyn often followed as was often expected yet this time Leon had specifically stated that Arthur was to come alone with no servant which concerned the prince greatly.

Coming upon the familiar double oak doors, Arthur nodded to the guards in greeting who began to open the doors for him. As he entered the chambers, he found only Uther and Catrina inside, sitting upon their respective seats in these chambers (the chairs were far less complex then the thrones they had sat upon the day before) but Catrina and Uther looked quite comfortable.

"You wanted to see me father?" Arthur questioned once he was stood in front of his father and the doors to the chambers were shut.

"Yes, the Queen's family seal has been stolen from her chambers and I want the culprit found and punished" Uther announced, not beating around the bush at all. Arthur was surprised by the news, who would steal a seal, what possible purpose could they have for it? Though Arthur didn't understand why the seal he had been taken he understood his duty none the less.

"Do we have any idea who took it?" Arthur asked as he placed his hands behind his back and watched as his father clung onto Catrina's hand – to Arthur's great concern his father looked more upset by the missing seal than Catrina did.

"Your servant, Merlyn" Catrina answered strongly. Arthur scoffed at the accusation.

"Merlyn?" It was impossible. Arthur didn't for one moment believe that lie. "She would never-"

"Find her and arrest her" Uther interrupted, his voice hard as stone. Arthur's gaze locked onto his father's whose eyes were staring at him with fury. Arthur knew that look all too well; his father was not going to hear anything he didn't want to and Merlyn not being the culprit was certainly something he didn't want to hear. Arthur's mind raced at the predicament before. Merlyn was in serious trouble. He had only one option before him. Slowly, he bowed to his father.

"Right away Sire."

~8~

Gathering the guards and knights took very little time and Arthur was swiftly ordering squads off to search various areas within the castle and Lower Town. Each order was methodical and logical, he was going to search every area as was expected. Once Arthur had given the order the guards and knights in their chainmail and helmets left to complete the search.

"Search the stables. You, check the kitchens. And alert the guard on the south gate. Merlyn must be found!" Arthur said pointing to the various men.

Leon of course was among the knights and upon hearing their duty he frowned and lowered his head to hide his shocked face. As the rest of the guards and knights dispersed, he knew he had to catch Arthur. When the majority of the others had left, Leon moved forward and caught Arthur's attention before he could go anywhere.

"Arthur, are we really arresting Merlyn?" Leon asked quietly, his eyes studying the prince carefully. Leon couldn't believe that Arthur wouldn't willingly arrest Merlyn – Uther was calling for her head, surely Arthur wouldn't want to watch Merlyn die.

"Go to her chambers" Arthur ordered loudly seemingly ignoring Leon's words. However, as all of the men moved out of earshot Arthur reached out and gently grasped his friend's arm, pulling him closer and lowering his voice, "I know where she is. Give me time." The hushed whisper was given along with a desperate look and Leon immediately understood. Merlyn was Arthur's servant and much more, the prince obviously knew exactly where she would be at this time – just like she knew Arthur's schedule, he had learnt hers. Arthur was going to warn her.