Chapter Thirty-Nine: To Frame A Witchfinder

The bleak afternoon highlighted the grim pyre that the guards were building. The small wooden platform that was surrounded by a base of wooden logs was haunting to see. All of it would be turned to ash ... as would the being tied to the stake in the middle. Merlyn's mouth was dry as she stared at the symbol of death. It was any witch's or warlock's worst nightmare - to be purge of their magic by fire.

Having seen the horrifying progress the guards had made, Merlyn knew she had to find the evidence to save Gaius and capture Aredian. However, before Merlyn could get very far into making a plan, the door to her and Gaius' chambers burst open to reveal a surprising face.

Merlyn was shocked to see her young Blood Guard walking into her chambers with a guilty, heartbroken expression on her face. What Merlyn did not need was another issue to deal with but why else would Anna come to see her especially when it was dangerous for them to be seen together?

"Anna, what are you doing here? It isn't safe" Merlyn questioned as Anna stopped a metre or so before her.

"I did what you said and it got you put in jail and then Gaius took your place. I heard that he was going to be burnt at the stake for something I did" Anna stressed pushing her hands into her chest to emphasis her point. "It's my fault. It's all my fault. If I hadn't of made that stupid horse, none of this would have happened" Anna rambled off wringing her hands together. Merlyn could clearly see that the issue had been playing on Anna's mind and Merlyn was sadden to know that she hadn't even thought of how Anna was dealing with such knowledge. Merlyn had been so focused on Gaius and herself she had forgotten about Anna which was unforgivable.

"It wasn't your fault" Merlyn soothed with a sad smile. "Uther has caused paranoia across Camelot."

"I want to help fix this" she said strongly. Merlyn silently studied Anna for a moment. The determination she saw in Anna was something she recognised in herself. For the first time she was feeling what others must feel when they went against herself. It was clear to see that Anna wasn't going to backdown - she would help even if it killed her. Merlyn was resigned to the fact it was safer if she allowed Anna to help.

"Aredian planted the evidence, the amulet that framed Gaius as a sorcerer and was found in these chambers was not Gaius' and it's not mine" Merlyn explained simply, crossing her arms over her chest. This fact still boiled her blood.

"But why would he do such a thing?" Anna questioned with a frown. She couldn't understand what he gained from that and Merlyn hadn't really given it too much thought. Tapping her fingertips against the desk she was stood beside, Merlyn took the time to do just that. Eventually she figured it out.

"Aredian is paid to catch sorcerers" Merlyn said finally piecing together each piece of the puzzle that had been alluding her all along. The witch began to pace as her mind raced causing her body to be too overwhelmed to stay still. "Maybe he doesn't care whether someone is guilty or not. Maybe he gets confessions by lying, by planting evidence, just as long as he gets a confession, he gets his money."

"Do you have proof?" Anna asked with a hopeful gaze. Merlyn however had to disappoint the Blood Guard.

"No but we do need proof to make such an accusation; we need hard-evidence, irrefutable evidence" Merlyn said with a sigh. The task seemed almost impossible but she knew it had to be done. But how she had no idea.

"And we'll find it" Anna said back strongly, her gaze fixated on her sovereign. In that moment as Merlyn studied Anna, she realised just how much faith Anna had in her. And it was that optimism that was going to save Gaius in the end.

~8~

Anna was right and Merlyn had to hold onto that thought. If she could find the proof then she would save Gaius. So, Merlyn was heading to the one place that there had to be evidence of Aredian's guilt ... hopefully. Merlyn had quickly made her way towards Aredian's chambers.