PROLOGUE: Normality

Just in case you've stumbled across this book: this is the SECOND book of the Merlyn series. You should go read 'Merlyn' before this.

I do not consent to this being posted elsewhere, I have posted it on Wattpad nowhere else.

Without further ado, here is season two. Hope you enjoy the Prologue!

**********

In a land of myth and a time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young girl. Her name: Merlyn...

After everything that had happened, Merlyn was surprised that things had returned to a form of normality. Except for a selection of things: Merlyn had Blood Guards, Leon knew she was a witch, Arthur was ignoring her and Merlyn herself had grown in power. Often Merlyn would sit and read the words that had changed her perspective on the world: 'Blood Guards – ancient protectors who swore a blood oath to stand loyally beside their sovereign'. Merlyn had Blood Guards; she had ancient protectors who had sworn a blood oath to her. It baffled her mind.

Gaius had explained what had happened in the Isle of the Blessed over and over again (at Merlyn's request) and each time Merlyn was flummoxed by the fact that Blood Guards existed and she had powerful ones who had killed Nimueh. As a collective her Blood Guards battled a High Priestess of the Old Religion and won. The one thing that concerned Merlyn was the fact that people who had Blood Guards had them because they were strong but also targets. People were coming for her all because of her legend.

Merlyn had begun to find herself standing on the battlements watching the people below, wondering if any of those seemingly ordinary people had swore their life to hers. Having gone to Kilgharrah she had discovered that Sir Galahad, her teacher, had been a Blood Guard, that he had swore himself to her, to her legend. And he had obeyed his oath to his dying breath. She had to wonder where they were, how many there were ... and who they were.

Along with her learning about Blood Guards, the young witch had discovered that she knew very little about the world and she had much to learn, much to explore. She had dipped her toe into the magical world and had yet to delve right in. Along with the fact that she could possibly have to face magical beings as strong as Nimueh, Merlyn had decided to practise her magic more, and more. Using the woods as cover, Merlyn had been casting more and more spells in secret using a protection spell in a part of the woods to keep her magic hidden. She had learnt so much but she was well aware that she had much more to learn.

Whilst Merlyn was learning about her magic and practising the craft, Arthur was a very different story. Arthur was always running over Merlyn's speech in his head - the speech she had given when he had been unconscious after the Questing Beast attack. Merlyn had given up her life for his, had claimed he would be a great king, had said she loved him, had kissed him and more importantly had told him she was a witch but Arthur had no idea how to bring such things up. After the whole Questing Beast, giving her life for his, Arthur had both become more protective and yet distance with his servant. He rarely spoke to her, he hated that she had given her life for his and he had nearly lost her so he was pushing her away, trying to place distance between them so Merlyn would not give her life for his. However, Arthur was ignoring the simple fact that she would give her life for his always.

Merlyn had noticed Arthur's strange behaviour but she had no answer for it. If he had remembered she had told him she was a witch surely he would have brought it up already. With Arthur's distant behaviour Merlyn found herself studying the ancient book she had received off Galahad so long ago, often looking at the images in the book of past versions of herself and Arthur. Their legend seemed so far from view. How were they supposed to bring in the Golden Age for Albion?

On top of that worry Merlyn had to deal with the fact that Leon knew she was a witch. Leon had been feeling awkward around Merlyn since she had woken up. He had carried around Gaius' letter for days before he finally decided to speak to Merlyn. When the witch had been given the letter and she had read the incriminating words her heart had sank. She had truly believed that Leon was going to turn her in but to her great surprise the knight had allowed her to speak, had listened to her but thankfully had agreed to keep her secret, he accepted her.

With everything that had happened the year before, Merlyn just knew that Arthur and herself were going to be facing worse things. She knew that the year before had only been the beginning...