Chapter Sixteen: Run. Run!

Merlyn was pacing around the cell anxiously waiting for Gwen's return. Some of Hengist's men had taken Gwen to see Hengist and Merlyn had a feeling it had something to do with the fact that Uther wouldn't have paid the ransom. There was one good thing from that knowledge: Morgana must have gotten back to Camelot in order for Uther to not pay which hopefully meant that Arthur knew. Merlyn clung to that fact because she didn't believe that Arthur would leave her to die, he said he loved her. Suddenly, Merlyn's footsteps froze as she horrifyingly realised something. She had never said it back. She had never told him. She had never actually said the words. Would she ever get the chance?

Before Merlyn could venture any further down that path of heart-breaking thoughts, the cell door opened once again and Gwen was shoved inside. Merlyn immediately caught the other maidservant whose cheeks were wet with tears. The cell was relocked by the guards but Merlyn knew what had happened. The guards were no longer treating Gwen with any form of kindness that they had shown before to the 'Lady Morgana', that along with Gwen's fearful, tear-stricken face told Merlyn Hengist knew the truth. He knew that Gwen was not the Lady Morgana.

"It'll be alright Gwen" Merlyn said as she hugged the servant tightly and released a shaky breath. "We will be alright. I will get us out of her I promise." Gwen just wept into Merlyn's arms. Merlyn did not know how long she sat cradling Gwen, all she knew was that it was long enough for Gwen to stop crying and for darkness to have fallen. She couldn't help but wonder how many more times she would watch the darkness fall across the land.

"Lancelot?" Gwen suddenly muttered, Merlyn frowned as she looked down at Gwen before she lifted her gaze to the prison door that Lancelot was unlocking.

"We haven't a moment to lose" Lancelot announced as he stepped into the cell and offered his hand to Gwen who immediately took it with a bright smile. Looking behind her Merlyn saw the bed and Morgana's cloak. Quickly, the witch shuffled everything around to make it look like someone was sleeping on the bed – even if it slowed Hengist down for a few moments, it was a few moments more than they would have had. The trio left the cell before Merlyn grasped the keys off Lancelot and told him to run with Gwen whilst she finished setting up the jails. He was confused at first but did as she said. Merlyn quickly relocked the cell before she placed the keys back with the knocked-out guards. With everything in place as it was before, Merlyn darted off in the direction that she saw Lancelot and Gwen heading. After a few minutes of running she spotted Lancelot and Gwen arguing once again. What annoyed Merlyn was the stationary positions they had taken?

"What are we doing?" Merlyn asked in angst.

"Follow this tunnel. It will take you out beyond the castle walls" Lancelot ordered Merlyn pointedly. Now she realised what had happened: Lancelot had announced he was staying behind to buy them time and Gwen hadn't agreed.

"I am not leaving you" Gwen stressed.

"You must" Lancelot replied whilst Merlyn was getting more nervous by the second, she was pretty sure she could hear Hengist.

"No. I will not leave you here to die" Gwen argued back grasping Lancelot's hands tightly.

"I would die for you 100 times over" Lancelot said with smile before he gently cupped Gwen's face. "Live for me, or everything that I am has been for nothing." Merlyn watched as Gwen's expression turned to heartbreak – she knew what she had to do. Suddenly, Gwen lifted herself up and kissed Lancelot gently, knowing it would very likely be the last time.

"As long as I live, my feelings for you will never fade" Gwen whispered with tears flooding her eyes. Merlyn groaned in annoyance; she couldn't let Lancelot do this.

"I can't let you do this" Merlyn interrupted from her place beside the couple. Lancelot and Gwen pulled apart only for Lancelot to sigh. Lancelot knew that Merlyn would put up resistance, it was just like her. Though he had hoped she wouldn't.