Chapter Fifty-Eight: Mordred's Return

Merlyn wanted to avoid the Morgana situation as much as possible. The ominous threat that Morgana held was soul crushing especially considering Merlyn knew she couldn't change her destiny - there was no version of the legend that ended with Morgana staying good, both Kilgharrah had warned her of that and Galahad's book had informed of her that too. Morgan le Fey was Morgana and so her destiny was to use her magic for evil means, to kill and rule with an iron fist to gain everything she thought she rightly deserved. Merlyn tried to cling onto Morgana's good, kind nature but lately Merlyn was starting to see more and more glimpses to a side of Morgana that gave evidence to her potential to be evil.

It didn't help that Merlyn now knew of Morgana's true origins, knew that Morgana threatened Arthur's claim to the throne in being his sister. Merlyn could see all the pieces of their future, their destiny coming together. Morgana was changing, Morgause was Morgana's entry into the darkness as was Mordred and Uther's hatred for magic that Morgana had now aligned herself with was going to cause her hatred for Uther to grow. It was not a question of if Morgana would turn evil but a question of when and this was something Merlyn was struggling to accept.

Night had fallen and with-it people had gone to their beds and was sleeping their way through. However, unbeknown to the sleepers a plot was beginning to take place.

Merlyn was fast asleep in her bed, her dreams blissfully blank and like whispers in the wind allowing her mind to drift off. Though her peace was shattered as a familiar voice echoed through her head.

... Take the north door. Straight ahead. Keep going, keep going, keep going ...

Merlyn's eyes snapped open immediately, her body primed for action against the threat. Due to her sleep, it still took a moment for Merlyn to register why she was awake but as the voice continued to speak and became clearer Merlyn shuddered. She recognised that voice. It was the voice of the boy who haunted her future.

... Keep going, hurry! ...

It was Mordred. It could only mean trouble. What was he doing in Camelot?! Throwing back her covers Merlyn darted to her feet. In wearing a shirt to bed - her nightgown not being clean - Merlyn was able to just throw on a pair of her trousers and rush out of her chambers. She had to find Mordred and whoever he was speaking to before they did whatever thing they came to do.

... Keep going. It's not much further now ...

She was running down the corridors trying to follow Mordred's voice all the while she struggled to understand why the Druids and Mordred were in Camelot. It was frustrating. Merlyn couldn't fathom why the Druids would come to Camelot (Mordred had been left with the Druids after all), it was stupid and dangerous, reckless most of all. Merlyn had to question what was so important that they would risk their lives coming to Camelot. It wasn't long before Mordred's voice was once again echoing through Merlyn's head informing Merlyn of where they were going.

... We're nearly there. Be careful, guards at the end of the corridor. Morgana's chamber is next ...

Morgana's chambers! Merlyn swore as she turned down another corridor and began running, her feet echoing upon the stone. Her already wild hair flew out behind her as she raced towards Morgana's chambers. Merlyn did not believe that Mordred would hurt Morgana but he did fear why he was here and what he wanted with Morgana. She had been warned before about the alliance between the two, an alliance Merlyn should never had let form.

As Merlyn closed in upon Morgana's chambers, the castle's bells started tolling. The guards knew Mordred and his companion (or companions) were in the castle. Well, at least there was more than Merlyn looking for the intruders. Suddenly, another familiar deep voice spoke, reaching her ears this time.