Chapter Sixty-Five: The Knights Of Medhir

"Or maybe not" Merlyn commented as she locked eyes with seven knights who had somehow silently entered the room. They wore black tattered cloaks, that had withered with age, strong chainmail, and armour, had swords on their belts whilst their faces were covered by thick plates of metal hiding their identities ... their dead faces beneath.

At her words, Arthur turned around and found himself speechless. He was not expecting the Knights of Medhir, that was for sure.

Upon his turn, the Knights all grabbed their swords in unison and drew them effortlessly. The killers of legend were prepared to fight and fight they did. One second, they silently stood facing off against them and the next the seven knights of Medhir charged. Arthur collided with the first knight whilst the other knights of Medhir chose their targets, Arthur's men. The Knights of Camelot were all struggling, even Arthur, at the pace and strength, the skill shown by the Knights of Medhir. It wasn't long before a Camelot Knight fell into trouble.

"Pike!" Merlyn shouted a warning as she suddenly took his place against the Knight of Medhir. Her two blades clashed and slid against the enemy knight's blade. Each defensive move she made was meeting the knight's powerful swing which caused the impact to ricochet up her arms. As Merlyn defended Pike who had been injured, Arthur was battling his own monster.

Arthur fought strongly and was indeed a match for the Knight of Medhir as proven when he plunged his sword deep into the Knight's gut. Only problem was the Knight didn't go down. Arthur watched in shock as the Knight looked at the blade before lifting his pitch-black gaze to look at Arthur, growling coming from behind the mask. Arthur pulled his blade out only to watch the Knight lift his own once more.

The legends were right. The Knights of Medhir would not fall ... but the mortal Knights of Camelot could!

It wasn't long before the small party of eight dwindled down to just three, allowing for the seven Knights of Medhir to gang up upon Arthur, Pike and Merlyn who were tirelessly trying to fight their way out of the situation. The issue was that the only way out of the room was through the entrance they had come through, however, the Knights of Medhir stood between them and the exit.

Merlyn was using every trick she knew, every spin and dodge she could think of but beyond being able to push back the Knights they couldn't kill them no matter how many times they each stabbed a Knight. Due to the skill of their enemy it wasn't long before Merlyn felt the stinging pain of a blade running against her skin, splitting open the flesh on her arm. Suddenly, her cry of pain gained both Pike and Arthur's attention.

"Merlyn!" Arthur shouted as he fought his way to her side, however, he wasn't the one to reach her. Pike took her place as she had done for him giving Merlyn a moment of reprieve where she could push aside her pain. Unfortunately, his heroic move ended badly. Pike's cry of pain signalled to Arthur and Merlyn the fact that they were on their own now.

"Run Merlyn!" Arthur demanded as he noticed Merlyn closer to the entrance then he was.

"No!" Merlyn replied without a single thought otherwise. The young witch darted beneath a sword of a Knight in order to find herself back to back with Arthur, allowing her to defend his back as he protected his front.

"Will you do as I say?" Arthur said as he kicked his opponent away and deflected a Knight's attack that was aimed right at Merlyn – like hell he was going to allow them to hurt Merlyn any more than they had.

"When have I ever?" Merlyn retorted as they suddenly found themselves side by side as the seven knights advanced towards them, leaving behind them a scattering of fallen Camelot Knights. Each of their steps was as menacing as the last. However, in the commotion, Merlyn hadn't realised, but they had switched positions. Arthur and her were now clear to the exit.