Chapter Forty-Seven: A Bounty And A Brother

Merlyn knew that Morgana didn't know the truth and she knew Arthur didn't know as well. Though she feared that Morgause did know. A High Priestess of the Old Religion (who so far had shown themselves to be an enemy of the crown) knew of Morgana's true lineage and was also her sister. Morgause had the perfect puppet to manipulate before her. Using her sister connection to Morgana, she could get the witch to trust her and then together they would go after the throne. Whist Merlyn still did not like accepting Morgana's destiny she feared the truth. Merlyn finally realised the bad blood that Morgana had in her past of which Anna had warned her about. Once Morgana learned that Uther was her father and he had lied to her all her life, had gone behind her supposed father's back and robbed her at her chance at the throne of Camelot by not announcing her as a Pendragon her hatred of him would overshadow any form of love that she had once held for the king.

It had not helped Merlyn's racing mind as Gaius informed the young witch of how Morgana already felt a tug towards Morgause, feeling as if she already knew her and that Morgause clearly cared for Morgana. Morgana had received a healing bracelet (that had clearly been charmed) to help with her nightmares off of Morgause that bore the mark symbol of the House of Gorlois, something she must have gained off of her mother. Morgause had already made the connection. And Merlyn could remember Morgana's concern for Morgause during the fight with Arthur, she had visibly looked anxious for the female knight. None of this was good news.

All of her distress had led to Merlyn drowning her sorrows in mead. Anna had accompanied the young witch to the tavern where Merlyn had downed two tankards of mead before she sat nursing her third. It was rare Merlyn turned to drink but she damn well needed it, she needed something to calm her racing mind. Anna was nursing her own drink; she didn't feel the same need to drink as Merlyn so she was still on her first. But the tension that radiated between them was palpable.

"I know this is hard for you Emrys" Anna said breaking the silence once more.

"She's still good" Merlyn insisted, pointing towards the young Blood Guard sternly. However, Merlyn could feel herself doubting her own words.

"But she's changing, isn't she? She doesn't agree with any of Uther's decisions, she actively and openly goes against them" Anna pointed out. Merlyn had no real leg to stand on with that argument though it didn't mean she wasn't going to try and argue against it.

"No one likes them and I actively go against him" Merlyn argued, however, her words angered the Blood Guard.

"You are nothing like her!" Anna snapped before she took a deep breath and calmed down. It was a touchy subject for the girl. "But she gets angry about his decisions. She tried to kill him, she helped in an assassination attempt." Merlyn had not been aware that Anna knew such a thing - Merlyn remembered the event clearly, she remembered fighting her way through bandits to try and reach the king of all people.

"She stopped that" Merlyn said though the words were not pushed very far. The young witch still knew it was the first proper glimpse she had received of Morgana's true nature.

"But she still planned it, she did that whilst she was good" Anna replied calmly. "Can you imagine what she'll do once she's evil?" With that the young Blood Guard took a drink leaving Merlyn to groan over her own. What was she going to do?

~8~

It wasn't long before Merlyn knew she had to pack it in and head back home. With a downtrodden goodbye, Merlyn went to leave the packed tavern that was full of all sorts of people. But there was one in particular who sickened her. He was a pulp, balding man who was stuffing his face full of mead and ham, the juices covering his large hands and face, giving his grimy skin a glistening sheen to it. Merlyn didn't recognise the face and so assumed he was new to the city. She just had a feeling he would be trouble.