Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

“C’mon, Pete,” Gill grabbed Pete’s arm the moment the man stepped out into the morning sunlight and began to drag him away from camp. 

“Well, hells bells, Gill,” Pete grinned, staggering after him. “If you wanted me alone you only needed to say so,” he added, his eyes sparkling with humor. 

Gill just shook his head and once they were out of sight of camp, Pete’s demeanor changed and his eyes became concerned. “What’s going on, Gill?” 

“I told, Jeb.” 

Pete frowned and scratched at the red stubble on his chin. “Told Jeb what? That you and him are soul mates and meant to be? That you want to sit double on his gelding and ride off into the sunset together? That just a touch of his hand makes your insides go all aquiver and….” 

Gill grumbled under his breath and smacked Pete in the face with his hat, silencing the man and having him laughing with amusement. “It’s official. My best friend suffers from the worst case of idiocy I’ve ever seen in my life.” 

Pete beamed. “Well at least I’m the best at something.” 

“I told him the truth. I told him what really brought us to that saloon and into this gang.”

Pete nodded. “I figured that’s what you meant….” His gaze fell to the grassy ground as he kicked at a clump of dirt. “I guess that means I gotta tell Jane.” 

Gill chewed at his lip and patted his friend on the shoulder. “Jeb said he’d let us tell everyone and I figured you’d want to talk to her alone first.” 

Pete’s expression made it seem as if someone had just walked up and kicked his puppy in the face. “Hell, Gill! I was hoping we’d be able to just avoid this all together… what if she ain’t quite as forgiving as Jeb?”

“What makes you think Jeb was forgiving?” 

Pete rolled his eyes. “You aren’t dead!” 

Gill sighed. “You have to tell her, Pete. I’d suggest doing it this morning before we head out so we can get this whole mess behind us.” 

“And what are we going to tell the rangers, Gill? We can’t just disappear because they’ll come hunting us full force.” 

Gill knew that Pete was right and that was the exact question that had kept him up all night. He had no idea what they were going to say to the rangers. “We’ll worry about that later,” Gill offered. “For now let’s just worry about living through today--I’m sure Willie’s gonna want to put a bullet in both of us pretty bad.” 

Pete snorted. “Willie’s been wanting to put a bullet in me since I showed up.” 

“Yep,” Gill nodded. “And now you’re gonna be giving him one more reason.” 

The two friends returned to camp and Gill made his way to Jeb who was watching him with concern. “You okay?” Jeb asked when Gill approached.