Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty Four

          Gill stood beside the river that night and couldn't seem to wrap his head around all that he'd been told that day. Apparently Captain Morgan had been in touch with the gang and known they'd come to save Gill—the other three rangers on the base had even ridden out to help the gang do so.

          They hadn't done it because of their love for Gilliam of course, but instead because of their hatred of the Major and his men—all of which had been helping themselves to anything and everything they'd wanted on the base—even women.

          As far as the records would show, Major Winfield and his men had been killed by a band of renegades. The Crane Gang was still dead—since that's the report that Major Winfield himself had written—and Gilliam, Jebidiah and Maria had all been hanged by the neck until dead just that morning.

          Yes, it meant that the world would never know the evil that had been Major Winfield, and it mean that the Major would go down in history as a hero who took out The Crane Gang, but Gill took comfort in the fact that it also meant that Major Winfield was worm shit while Gill was......

          Gill smiled when Jeb's arms circled his waist and his warm breath teased his ear, causing Gill to tremble. "Preston's finally asleep," Jeb whispered. "He insisted on hearing a few extra stories from Uncle Pete."

          "Uncle Pete?" Gill rolled his eyes. "We have to limit the amount of time they spend together. He'll have Preston just as annoying as he is."

          Gill felt Jeb smile against his skin and the two men stood in silence a long while. Finally Gill sighed. "How are Craig and Wyatt? Losing Willie has to be hard on them."

          "It's hard on us all," Jeb replied softly. "Willie was a good man even if he was hot-tempered and whiskey weak. But he died a hero so that makes it a little easier..... He wouldn't want us all wallowing."

          Gill nodded and sent up a silent thank-you to the heavens in hopes that Willie would hear it—Willie had probably saved Pete's life and Gill would be eternally grateful for the man's sacrifice.

          "How is your arm?" Jeb questioned, attempting to raise Gills' arm in the air.

          Gill grumbled at Jeb's efforts to coddle him. "Leave it be. You can't see anything out here in the dark anyhow."

          "I just worry about you," Jeb admitted.

          "I know." Gill turned in his arms and cursed the fact that Jeb was so much taller than he was. He kissed the man's jaw before nipping at it playfully. "And we need to be getting to bed. We have to put a lot more distance between us and that base tomorrow."

          Jeb stood fast and stared down into Gill's eyes. Even in the dim light, Gill could see the love in the other man's expression. "I nearly lost you today, Gilliam. I've nearly lost you far too many times."

          "But you didn't lose me and you won't lose me" Gill promised. "I love you, Jebidiah, and I don't plan on going anywhere."

          "Are you upset that our life in New Mexico won't be quite as quiet as we'd planned?" Jeb asked.

          Gill thought about the people sleeping back at camp. They were his best friends—his family. He couldn't imagine life without them. "Of course not. Hell, Pete would probably cry himself to sleep every night without me and I still have a few fighting tips to give to Wyatt—and my mama would let the hounds of hell drag her down with them before she'd let Preston get away from her. The woman has always wanted grandchildren."