Chapter Thirty-Seven

          A gnawing ache bubbled in Gill’s gut. Gill had always been one to trust his gut and just now his gut was telling him that something was wrong. Gill knew exactly what it was.

          He knew that even now as he lay in the bed with Jeb’s strong arms wrapped around him Gill new that Pete, Jane and Willie were already on their way to their new home. Craig and Wyatt were also heading out today to have adventures of their own—and Jeb had told them to be gone early because the goodbye’s they’d spoken the day before were the only ones he could handle.

          Gill had learned that his man was terrible at goodbyes. Speaking of goodbyes….

          Gill groaned as he squinted toward the clock and realized it was nearly nine in the morning. He had a very bittersweet goodbye of his own to get through today. His mama had insisted that he come out and talk to her and bid her farewell before he set off for New Mexico. Gill knew he needed to make the trip out of her house alone but he was hesitant to leave Jeb. Today was the man’s first day without his family.

          “Would you quit thinking so hard, Gilliam?” Jeb’s voice scolded gently. “You’ve got the room filling up with smoke.”

          “How would you know?” Gill asked with a smile. “Your eyes are still closed.”

          Jeb pulled Gill closer and he happily slid himself deeper into his embrace. “I can smell it,” Jeb replied, his green eyes remaining hidden behind their lids.

          Gill sighed and kissed the bare skin of Jeb’s chest. “Mama wanted me to come out this morning.”

          “Then you should go,” Jeb replied, peeking down at Gill through a cracked eyelid.

          “You riding along?”

          “I think your mama wanted to have some time alone with you,” Jeb reminded him.

          Gill sighed. “But you….”

          Jeb chuckled and kissed Gill’s brow. “I’ll be just fine. I’ll spend the day making sure we have the supplies we need and we’ll head out this afternoon when you make it back.”

          “You’re sure?”

          Jeb rolled his eyes. “I’m sure, Gilliam. I’m better than you are, I think. I’m ready for this new life with you. And it’s not like I’ll never see everyone else again. They already all said they’re coming to New Mexico for the holidays.” Jeb frowned. “Are you having second thoughts?”

          Gill quickly shook his head. “No, of course not. You know I love you.”