Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

          Gill stepped into the early morning sunlight the next morning feeling different than he’d felt in his entire life—better. He was no longer a ranger. He was a member of the Crane Gang. He helped those who needed help while taking from those who hurt others to get what they had. But the biggest change was that he had finally taken a step and allowed himself to imagine a real future with Jeb.

          He was in love with Jebidiah Crane and wanted to spend the rest of his life at his side.

          He took a deep breath of summer air, letting it invigorate his senses and wash the last bits of sleep from him. A smile curved his lips when he felt Jeb step up behind him and brush his hand against his hip before coming to stand beside him.

          “It’s gonna be a hot one,” Jeb observed.

          Gill nodded, wanting to wrap himself up in Jeb’s arms but knowing it wasn’t something they could do out here on the street. “Yeah, it is. You ready to go pay the good doctor a visit this morning?”

          “Sure am,” Jeb growled.

          Gill glanced over at him. “You gonna be able to control that temper while we talk to him?”

          Jeb grumbled under his breath and stepped off the boardwalk. “I’ll be fine.”

          Gill followed after him wishing there was someone else to help keep the other man in line. But he was all there was. Billy was busy at the livery with the horses, Pete and Jane hadn’t yet left their room and Wyatt was busy nursing Craig and Willie who had clearly overindulged in whiskey the night before.

          They stepped up on the porch of the doctor’s home at the edge of town and Jeb knocked solidly three times.

          “Who is it?” came the timid response from inside.

          “Jebidiah Crane. Let me in.”

          Gill fought back a smile. “No points for friendliness.”

          Jeb’s jaw popped. “He doesn’t deserve friendliness.”

          “Fair enough.”

          The door opened and Gill was thankful when Jeb stared hard at the doctor a moment, clenched his fists and then stepped back and motioned for Gill to take over. Cleary the other man’s anger was too great and it was nice to know that what Gill had said the night before had made an impression. It was nice to know that Jeb trusted him enough to let him have control.

          “Good morning, doctor,” Gill greeted.