Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Jeb sat there in the overwhelming silence of Gill's tent and waited for the other man to speak. Gill simply laid there on the bedroll where Jeb had left him and didn't say a word. His eyes were open in the darkness as he stared up at the ceiling and rested his hand against his brow.

Jeb wondered if Gill was going to answer him at all. He hoped the other man would finally free himself of whatever the hell he'd been holding back for so long.

They remained in still silence or so long that Jeb was startled when Gill finally moved. He sat up quickly and reached to the side, dragging his saddle bags to him. Jeb watched him carefully as Gill rummaged around in his saddle bags and pulled out a leather sack.

Without saying a word, Gill tossed the sack to Jeb without ever meeting his gaze. Jeb frowned. "What is this?"

"Just look," Gill mumbled as he shoved himself to his feet and began to pace.

Jeb was concerned by the anxious and agitated motion. Gill always seemed very strong and calm--to see him so upset was upsetting for Jeb. He wanted to leap to his feet and hold the man tight; comfort him the best that he could. Then again, whatever had Gill so upset was some kind of lie he'd kept hidden so maybe Jeb would feel a bit different once he realized what it was.....

Jeb hesitantly pulled open the sack and reached inside, wondering what in the world could be in there that would explain Gill's distance. Gill lit a lantern and the firelight made it possible for Jeb to make out the oil, rags and rods that were inside.

"Gun cleaning supplies?" Jeb chuckled. "So, you're a gunsmith?"

"Keep looking," Gill snapped.

Jeb reached in the sack and began to rummage around. His hand brushed against something smooth and metal. Slowly he closed his palm around the object, swallowed hard and pulled out a....

"Badge?" he spoke aloud. Jeb turned the badge in his hand and saw Texas Ranger etched into the front.

"Texas Ranger Gilliam Tomlinson," Gilliam's vice was full of authority and pride as he spoke. Jeb slowly looked up and met Gill's gaze. "Or at least that's who I was until I met you and this gang."

Jeb processed that a moment. "So when you met Craig and Willie in the saloon that night it wasn't coincidence. You were hunting my family?"

Gill sighed. His shoulders slumped and then he nodded. "Yeah. Had been for a while."

"I should kill you," Jeb deadpanned. "I would kill anyone else who dared do such a thing and lie to us."

Gill shook his head and Jeb could see the sincerity shining out of his brown eyes. "You don't have to kill me, Jebidiah." Gill tilted his head toward the badge. "That's not who I am anymore."

Jeb held the badge up in the lantern light trying hard to ignore the tremors of pleasure that rushed down his spine at hearing his full given name leave Gill's lips. "I'm not surprised. I had my suspicions that you weren't exactly who you said you were--or at least that there was more behind you ending up here."

"The Rangers sent Pete and I to infiltrate your gang, earn your trust and then bring you down by sending for them when we stopped a while. You've made a lot of rich people real angry."

Jeb smiled at this news. "I'd say we have. So what are you going to do now, Gilliam Tomlinson?"

Gill let out a long breath and flopped back down on the bedroll, crossing his legs and resting his elbows on them. "I don't know."