Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen 

“Where is he going?” Gill asked Billy the next morning when he saw Jeb preparing a horse. 

“Craig, Willie and Wyatt never came back last night,” Billy replied with a shake of his head. “Damn fool boys probably got drunk and passed out somewhere.” 

Jane shook her head. “Not Wyatt, pa. You know he doesn’t act foolish the way Craig and Willie sometimes do. I’m real worried.” 

“Then why aren’t you going?” Gill demanded, feeling his own worry grow. What if something had happened to Wyatt or to Craig? Willie would probably deserve whatever came his way but the other two men sure didn’t. 

“Jeb won’t let me. He wants us to stay here, pack up the tents and be ready to leave as soon as he gets back.” 

Gill saw her eyes stray over his shoulder just as he heard Pete’s footsteps approaching. “Good morning, Jane.” 

Gill was shocked nearly shitless when, tough as nails, don’t take no shit off anybody, Jane, blushed. “Good morning, Pete.” 

Billy grumbled and slammed his skillet down on the cooking grate he was using to fry some meat. Gill chose to leave Pete to his fate with the big, hairy man, and instead of helping his friend, he headed over to Jeb. 

“I’m coming with you,” Gill stated as he grabbed his own horse. 

Jeb stood straight and swiped sweat from his brow. “You are?” 

Gill began to saddle his horse. “Yeah. There could be trouble so I’m coming.” 

Jeb grinned with amusement. “So you’re coming to protect me?” 

Gill quickly looked away from him and focused on his task. He’d been trained by both his father and the Texas Rangers to never travel alone nor let another man travel alone. It was crucial to always have someone along who could have your back. “Rafe had a rule about traveling alone.” 

“And what was that rule?” 

“To not to.” 

Jeb chuckled. “Well alright then. Your pa was a smart man.” 

Gill bristled a the compliment to his father and simply concentrated on cinching up his saddle. 

***

Jeb was acutely aware of Gill riding along beside him. He was acutely aware of every damn move Gill made and had been since the man had first rode into his camp. The man was nearly all Jeb was able to think about here lately and he knew he had to have him soon--it was the only way to ease the burning desire in his blood. But Gill seemed desperate to ensure that never happened; or at least he had last night.