Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Wattpad seems to be having trouble with notifications for quite a few readers and some have reported having trouble accessing the new chapters even with the links i post on my message board on my profile and facebook page. :( I really hope that gets straightened out soon! This will be the third chapter I've posted since the trouble began so if y'all get this notification and didn't read chapters 11 and 12 make sure you do so before jumping into 13 :) 

Chapter Thirteen 

“Pete?” Gill whispered into the darkness that night as he lay on his bedroll. His stomach was in knots, his hands shaking as he plucked and picked at his wool blanket. Hell, he hoped this didn’t end badly. 

“Pete?” he repeated when the man just kept snoring. 

With a startled snort, Pete woke up and rolled on his side to face Gill. “What? I was having one hell of a dream so it better be important.” 

“A dream about your time alone with Jane?” Gill accused. 

Pete grinned a lopsided grin. “A gentleman never kisses and tells. And don’t worry, Gill, you’ll always be my favorite.” 

Gill shook his head. “And you’ll always be a pain in my ass. I thought we talked about her?” 

Pete shrugged his shoulder. “I like her Gill and I’m a grown man. I know what I’m doing.” 

Gill had a feeling Pete truly had no idea what he was doing and doing what Pete always did which was whatever felt good at the time. That was Pete’s downfall and always had been. He was too impulsive for his own good. But he was also a grown man and Gill had no control over what he chose to do with Jane--Gill had other things to worry about. 

“What’d you wake me up for, Gill? If it’s to jump my backside over Jane then let’s just go on back to sleep….” 

“No, it’s not her,” Gill promised, keeping his eyes focused on the ceiling of their tent. “I need to tell you something.” 

Pete sat up and ran his hand through his messy red hair as he blinked his tired eyes. “What’s wrong?” 

“I…I uh…” Gill let out a shaking breath. “There’s something about me I haven’t told you.” 

Pete frowned through the darkness. “Deep dark secrets? From your best friend? Those aren’t allowed, Gill!” 

“I’ve kept this secret from everyone, Pete, so don’t take it personal.” 

Pete grinned and nudged Gill’s leg with his foot. “Well open up, it’ll be good for your soul.” 

Dammit, Gill hoped so. “Since when are you a motivational speaker?” he inquired. 

“Since my best buddy needs me,” Pete batted his lashes. “Now talk to me. What could be so secret that you don’t tell anyone. Do you have six toes on one foot?”