Chapter 9 - Never Be The Same Again

~ ~ Chapter Nine ~ ~

Sitting down on the chair opposite from Dougy I stared at him with disbelief, he can't be serious, can he? He sure looks it but that doesn't mean it's all true. There must be some kind of explanation to make sense of it. I mean, I would have seen the signs, right? I knew right away that I'm not the 'sign picking up' kind of person. After all, Dougy kept his whole criminal life hidden from me, even lied about moving away to university, I didn't see one single sign that he was lying to me and he was my own brother.

"How would you even know her last name?" I asked after a few minutes of silence.

Dougy tried to hide the small smile on his face but I saw it, "I might have snuck into the change rooms at your work and went through her handbag. Then when her name came up as being changed, I looked into it further and found out her real name."

Frowning, I shook my head slightly, "What are you on about?" I was confused, "What did her name come up in?"

"Never you mind, I have contacts and they done it for me. The point is Lee, she isn't who you think she is and you need to pack up and move." Dougy nodded at my bedroom door again.

"No." I growled for what felt like the hundredth time since I got home, "I don't care what you say, Ambo is the sweetest and most kindest person you will ever meet, she can't be who you think she is."

"Well she is and unless you want me ringing your boyfriend to get involved, go pack." he growled back with warning and a threat in his tone.

Staring at my brother, I narrowed my eyes, "He's not my boyfriend." I snapped back, getting angry that everyone keeps saying that, well, by everybody I mean Baden and Dougy.

"Touchy." he muttered, holding his hands up in a truce signal, then he smiled sweetly at me and it gave me the creeps, "I know you both had a thing for each other....years ago, and he is still into you now, more so than before." he pulled a gagging face, "But how do you feel about him now?"

Taking a sip of my beer I looked over at the kitchen window, "That's all in the past, I know who he is better now, I know what life with him, with you around will be like and I don't want that. I just want to be left alone and live in peace." my voice was soft and wishful, knowing that they weren't going to listen to my wants anymore today than they did the first day I told them all to bugger off.

"So you do like him then?" Dougy pressed as he walked over to my fridge and helped himself to my beer, I frowned at him slightly but said nothing about it.

"No. I've moved on." I lied so easily that I could even fool myself these days.

Before Dougy could harass me anymore the sound of a key in the front door could be heard as it opened up and Amberly walked in. She paused when she spotted me and Dougy in the kitchen together from across the open planned lounge room but then she smiled warmly.

There is no way she is involved with a gang.

I gave Dougy a pointed look but he shook his head, he still believed in what his 'contact' told him.

"Hello." Amberly spoke cheerily, she reminded me of a female energizer bunny at times, it was so annoying when we both would finish work and I would just want to go home and curl up on the lounge but she would want to go out dancing more.

"Hey, good night at work?" I asked as I kicked Dougy under the table for the suspicious look he was giving her as he walked back over and sat down.

Amberly wasn't stupid, she noticed it too and seemed to be uncomfortable now, "Yeah, busy but good. Um, I'm heading to bed now, see you in the morning. Night."