Chapter 24 - Never Be The Same Again

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great comments on last chapter and I'm glad you all liked it so much! Here's hoping you like this chapter as well.... :D

~ ~ Chapter Twenty Four ~ ~

A sense of calmness had washed through me but it didn't feel right, it reminded me of a eye of the storm, the peace before the big finale hit. Phil keeps glancing at me, watching, waiting for me to crack or something but it hasn't happened yet.

Max even had the stupidity to ask me if I will help him move the bodies out of the lounge room, the look I shot him shut him up real quick and had him thinking differently. I may have taken two lives but it did not mean that I wanted to touch their dead bodies.

Right now, I'm in the kitchen washing down the small cuts and scrapes on my arms and legs, even a little one under my eye which stung like crazy but had hardly any blood to it. I hadn't even noticed any of the cuts on me or felt them until Phil pointed them out and told me to go clean them up.

He was proud of me, which in a realistic world would make him some kind of sick sadistic freak because what kind of person is proud of another for taking lives away like that? But in this world, it was a compliment to have him proud of me. I could have faltered or freaked out like I did when that man came after me but I stood my ground and fought back to come out on top and I know I'm never going to back down again.

Phil walked in and went over to the fridge, opened the door and pulled out two cans of bourbon, bringing one over to me, "You know Baden's going to flip when he finds out?" he asked as he cracked his can open and took a long drink out of it.

Smiling slightly, I put the cloth down I was wiping my blood away with and picked my own can up; I needed a drink after what just happened. "Yeah, I know." I muttered, nodding my head gently. It is why I am trying to clean up these small cuts before he can see them.

Max walked in from the lounge room, holding a phone in his hands as he glanced at me then looked over to Phil quickly, "I just got in touch with Byron, we've lost five of our men and Paul got away. They are just sweeping through the place now, looking for anyone hiding still."

I gasped, five people on our side died? That is such a big number of lives to have lost, never to see again. I really hope it wasn't anyone that I knew though, "What about Baden, Caveman and Amberly?" I asked quickly, needing to hear that at least those three were all alright.

Max smiled slightly as he nodded his head, "They're all fine. Caveman left already with her so they should be here now-."

He was cut off by the sounds of tyres screeching into the driveway, all of us turned and looked then the two boys instantly had loaded guns pulled out from behind them as they raced to the front door. I followed, picking up one off the floor and hoping it had bullets in it still.

"What the hell happened here?" An all too familiar voice boomed furiously, Caveman was here.

"Drive by, they were after Lee." Phil responded in a nonchalant tone, I stepped up behind him and looked Caveman over, he seemed to be relatively unharmed, a little dirty and sweaty with blood splatter across his arms and face but good apart from that.

His gaze landed on me and he took my appearance in, I don't know what I look like since I haven't actually looked at myself in the mirror or anything but I don't think I look too bad, "You okay though?" he asked seriously that it shocked me, I never thought he would worry about my safety.

Nodding I looked behind him and at the car he had just pulled up in but the windows were tinted so dark that I couldn't see anything inside, "Where is she?"